April 28, 2024, 10:17:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Fluorescence spectroscopy  (Read 3531 times)

Offline wqxt

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Fluorescence spectroscopy
« on: February 14, 2010, 11:47:45 AM »
Hi,

Thankful for any help here. I recently did a fluorescence spectroscopy experiment and my spectrum has photon count on its y-axis. I need to convert this to fluorescence intensity. How do I do that ?

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Fluorescence spectroscopy
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 02:19:48 PM »
They are proportional to each other.  Intensity is given in units of power per area, so to convert a photon count, you need to know the wavelenght of the emitted light (to calculate the energy of the photons), the time in which the photons were collected, and the area over which the photons were emitted.  However, if you don't necessarily care about the units, you can just use the photon counts. 

Offline wqxt

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 02:46:26 PM »
They are proportional to each other.  Intensity is given in units of power per area, so to convert a photon count, you need to know the wavelenght of the emitted light (to calculate the energy of the photons), the time in which the photons were collected, and the area over which the photons were emitted.  However, if you don't necessarily care about the units, you can just use the photon counts. 

Ah, I think I'll have to contact my supervisor then (for the time and area). That was an easier relation than I expected though. Thanks !

Offline cpncoop

• Mole Snacks: +6/-3
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 08:37:33 PM »
If you collected a fluorescence spectrum via a spectrometer, you have the wavelengths along the x-axis, so you should be able to calculate this easily. 

Sponsored Links