April 19, 2024, 01:34:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reaction Rate Orders  (Read 7920 times)

dioxin

Reaction Rate Orders
« on: September 13, 2005, 09:43:15 AM »
Ok I just completed an iodine clock reaction as an exercise to determine rate order and constant.

I would like to ask why it is acceptable to round off the reaction order value obtained from the gradient of the plots to a whole integer? I have done some reading and searches and found that it is possible to have integers as fractions.

Moreover, being exponents, would it have a significant influence on the calculations?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Reaction Rate Orders
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 12:34:56 PM »
what level of chemistry are u studying?

as you study more and more advanced chemistry, u realise rate equations need not confine to the format of rate = k[[A]]a

ocasionally, you find k[[A]]a as a denominator in the rate equation.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

dioxin

Re:Reaction Rate Orders
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 06:53:22 AM »
I am currently doing freshmen chemistry.

The question regarding why it is possible to approximate the reaction order to an integer is one of my post lab questions. As mentioned earlier, I have did my own search and made a few calculations (by varying the exponent by values of 0.1, 0.2). It does seem to be me that being an exponent, the difference can be very significant.

If the difference is significant, how can we conveniently approximate this value?

Sponsored Links