Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: nitrile oxide  (Read 6901 times)

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
nitrile oxide
« on: February 21, 2010, 09:22:18 AM »
Hi everyone.

I am generating a nitrile oxide as part of a synthesis path.  The solution turns green for a while.  No metals are present.  Is this normal for a nitrile oxide, or is something else occuring?

Thanks

Offline skyjumper

• 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-4
  • Lab Aid
Re: nitrile oxide
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 01:47:32 PM »
What is the exact reaction you are preforming?

Offline 408

• Chemist
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 05:16:47 AM »
I am generating a nitrile oxide from an oxime using iodobenzene diacetate in dichloromethane.  I cannot say the exact oxime I am using.  This oxime contains no other reactive groups, but there is a nitro group nearby.  

I am getting a horrible mixture of products, not simply the desired dimerization of the nitrile oxide to the oxadiazole N-oxide, I am trying to figure out why.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:28:34 AM by 408 »

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 08:17:10 AM »
I am generating a nitrile oxide from an oxime using iodobenzene diacetate in dichloromethane.  I cannot say the exact oxime I am using.  This oxime contains no other reactive groups, but there is a nitro group nearby.  

I am getting a horrible mixture of products, not simply the desired dimerization of the nitrile oxide to the oxadiazole N-oxide, I am trying to figure out why.

I was going to ask if the furoxan (the dimer product) was an undesired, as I know you can also trap nitrile oxides with nitriles to form 1,2,4-oxadiazoles (no N-oxide). Could it be that you're getting some form of cycloaddition with the nitro group? Have you tried other methods to generate the nitrile oxide (in the reaction I have carried out of this form I used CAN on the oxime, for instance)?

Offline 408

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 11:35:21 AM »
I suppose other oxidation agents are worth a try... CAN in water failed.  Perhaps I should have gone MeCN like the paper....  Not quite sure what to do on workup when the inorganic salt is so organic soluble.  I guess collumn.  If I have to.  I guess.  :P ::) :'(

I have tried to find in the lit a reaction between nitrile oxide and nitro groups, but so far no luck on that front.

But yes, the furoxan is the desired product.  Nitric oxide releasers and all that jazz.  

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 01:09:18 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily use acetonitrile as the solvent. At least in my case (using p-nitrobenzaldoxime), I was using acetonitrile as reactant and solvent, to form the 3-aryl-5-methyl-1,2,4-oxadiazole. I'd think that water may potentially rehydrate the nitrile oxide back to a nitro compound (isn't that another way to form the nitrile oxide, dehydration of a nitro? Is the nitro group you have attached to a tertiary carbon?)

Offline 408

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 01:16:43 PM »
Primary nitro group.

Indeed, nitro compounds can be used to generate nitrile oxides.  Not the reaction I am looking to try, so I am unaware of the conditions.

Thanks for the tip about water hydrating oxides to nitro.  I will bother to use dry solvents now.

Sponsored Links