March 29, 2024, 06:43:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Gases, Intermolecular Forces, and Solutions  (Read 4694 times)

Offline amoralyn12

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Gases, Intermolecular Forces, and Solutions
« on: February 23, 2010, 10:58:59 PM »
Hi, I've been working on this free response question, but I'm unsure if I'm doing it right. I'll post the first parts that I have done first, and continue editing when I have gone further into the question. Please tell me if I am doing things correctly, or if not, tell me what I am doing wrong and how to fix it. Thanks.

Here's the question: A mixture of 0.300 mol each of hydrogen gas, oxygen gas, and liquid water are present in a 20.00 liter container at 25 degrees Celsius. The equilibrium vapor pressure of water at 25 degrees Celsius is 23.76 torr.

(a) Calculate the total pressure inside the flask.

I used the ideal gas law to find the partial pressure of the gases, PV=nRT and modified it to become P=(nRT)/V
n= 0.600 mol of gases
R= 0.08206 L atm / mol K
T= 298 K
V= 20.00 L

(0.600)(0.08206)(298) / 20.00 = 0.73 atm

Then I added the vapor pressure of water,
P= (23.76 torr)(1 atm/760 torr)= 0.3 atm
0.73 atm+0.3 atm= 0.76 atm

(b) Using principles of kinetic molecular theory, explain which gas has the
 :rarrow: highest average kinetic energy
The kinetic molecular theory states that at any given temperature, the molecules of all gases have the same average kinetic energy.
 :rarrow: highest average velocity of molecules
For this reason, the gas with the smallest mass will have the highest average velocity of molecules (hydrogen gas).
 :rarrow: highest density
The oxygen gas will have the highest density because it has a larger atomic mass than hydrogen, meaning that at equal moles the oxygen will have more oxygen atoms.

I'm really not sure of this next part...

(c) The mixture is sparked, a reaction ensues consuming one of the reactants entirely, and the resulting mixture is allowed to come to equilibrium at 80 degrees Celsius.
 :rarrow: Write and balance a chemical equation to describe the reaction.
I'm have a lot of problems with chemical equations. How can I predict the products?
H2(g)+O2(g)+H2O(l)  :rarrow: 2H2O(g)+H+
 :rarrow: Which is the limiting reactant? Explain.
I would guess that oxygen is the limiting reactant. However, it is only a guess and I have no explanation.
 :rarrow: Calculate the total pressure in the flask after the reaction is complete. The water vapor pressure at 80 degrees Celsius is 355 torr.
Working...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:47:25 PM by amoralyn12 »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Gases, Intermolecular Forces, and Solutions
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 03:13:22 AM »
Water that is initially present doesn't take part in the reaction. Try just reaction between hydrogen and oxygen.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline kimyacı

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
  • İ like the Chemistry...
Re: Gases, Intermolecular Forces, and Solutions
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 02:00:36 PM »
 İn fact,even at the begining this reaction begin, but very very slow.Because of its very much activation energy, Light or a metal catalyst is needed to occur reaction fast.

Sponsored Links