March 28, 2024, 06:52:01 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: New Periodic Table  (Read 189965 times)

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Time Life Periodic Table
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 09:11:36 PM »
There is one just outside my office, not sure where it came from though. I think it has been there for ever!
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline scerri

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
new book on the periodic table by Eric Scerri (UCLA)
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 02:30:57 PM »

The Periodic Table: Its Story and Its Significance, by Eric Scerri, Oxford University Press, 2007.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0195305736/sr=1-2/qid=1145629377/ref=sr_1_2/102-5744129-2544142?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books

Reviews
"Eric Scerri is something of a rara avis. Scerri's philosophical orientation enriches the text by raising a number of thought-provoking issues...The book under review here is clearly and engaging written and meticulously researched with 42 pages of notes."-- Journal of Chemical Education

"The quality is not merely skin deep, there is a real scholarship inside...I would have been proud to have written this book rather than just contributing one image."-- Education in Chemistry

''This is undoublty a book that every practising chemist and chemistry educator should read because of it's far-reaching implications for understanding the nature of the periodic law and the challenges it presents to contemporary portrayals of the Periodic Table."-- Newsletter of International History, Philosophy and Science Teaching Group

"The Perodic Table:Its Story and its Significance should be of great interest and value to chemists and particularly to those chemists who teach about what makes up us, our world, and our science."-- Journal of Chemical Education

"Resembling a surreal checkerboard, the periodic table of elements has acquired a mythic significance in our time, as Ptolemy's spheres did in the Middle Ages. Yet the table did not fall from the sky. It has a very terrestrial history a complex and fascinating one. A century after the death of Mendeleev, the Russian with whom the periodic table is most famously associated, Scerri relates that history in his clear and absorbing account. Especially intriguing are his ruminations on a quasi-philosophical question, which is grist for the mills of reductionists and anti-reductionists alike: Can chemistry be reduced to quantum physics?."--San Fransico Chronicle

"It is an extermely rare occurrence to have the privilege of reviewing a book that is truly the difinitiev work in its field: The Periodic Table by Scerri is such a book."-- Rayner Canham

"The Periodic Table is one of the most iconic symbols in our culture. Every person interested in the physical world in which we live will want to read this book. It is also a masterful history of the people involved in the establishment of the periodic law of chemistry. The gradual growth in awareness of the regularities of the elements is the main theme of this work. It is already a classic in its first year in print! "      Gary D. Patterson (Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA) -
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline scerri

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
books on the Periodic Table
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 02:40:53 PM »

What do you think are the best books on the periodic table and why?

How does my new book compare with them?

regards,
eric scerri (UCLA)

author of The Periodic Table: Its Story and Its Significance: Oxford University Press, 2007.

Offline Sam (NG)

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +12/-3
  • Surface Modification
Re: books on the Periodic Table
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 03:30:56 PM »
Not read any other books on the Periodic Table, but i'm reading yours now, will let you know what i think.

[edit]  Sorry, i can only get it as an electronic resource, my university does not have a paper copy, i am afraid that i lack the patience to read an entire book from a computer screen.

Offline Val-1

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
New: Periodic Table is a Tetrahedron
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 11:26:14 AM »
Periodic table Points to double tetrahedron nuclear structure: see 3d Images at www.perfectperiodictable.com

Offline wayne54

• Very New Member
Periodic Table Data Set (HTML, SQL and CSV formats available)
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 04:35:40 AM »
hey gang,
I have compiled the periodic table in tablefy, I think this is helpful for those who need quick reference on their properties.
for example: Periodic Table: Non-Metal-series

what's cool about it is that you can grab any elements and compile them into 1 data sheet, ex: iron and hydrogen

this is the list of the elements, I grouped them based on their elemental group Periodic table elements

I hope this will help you in your homework as I sure did enjoy making those tables :)~

Note: I leave the tables open for contribution, but please don't vandalize it as if it is a wikipedia page  ::)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Periodic videos
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 03:28:48 AM »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mir

• Fascinated organic chemist
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +13/-3
  • Visit my blog: mir.humle.be
    • My humble homepage with norwegian articles
Re: Periodic videos
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 07:04:49 AM »
Great find!  :D
No single thing abides, but all things flow.
Fragment to fragment clings, and thus they grow
Until we know and name them.
Then by degrees they change and are no more
The things we know.
- Titus Lucretius Carus

http://www.ife.no

Offline saman_Z

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
I came across this idea of periodic table being actually like a globe...
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 08:16:36 AM »
 A teacher of mine believed that periodic table is actually round like a globe with the 0 period before the I one (as proved by the gradation in properties)...the one that we study is the mapped version...
your thoughts???? :-\

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: I came across this idea of periodic table being actually like a globe...
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 08:39:16 AM »
I'd heard many such ideas, some quite strange -- that the "correct" way to draw the periodic table was a trapezoid, or a cube, or a spiral.  Sometimes people can get quite pushy, on this topic.  At any rate, once you've googled the topic enough, you'll see so many varied points of view, all at least marginally plausible, that you'll stop worrying about elemental periodicy.  Or at least I do, YMMV.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
Re: I came across this idea of periodic table being actually like a globe...
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 08:42:22 AM »
Dear Saman_Z;

Maybe that you can do it also that way.
How about some other ideas:   

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 08:58:00 AM by ARGOS++ »

Offline Yem

• Very New Member
World's most convenient periodic table
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 08:04:35 PM »
This one fits on your cell phone screen.
http://home.comcast.net/~plutarch/periodic.html

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Periodic Table Videos
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 05:23:21 PM »
http://www.periodicvideos.com/#

I may have posted this before and forgot

Offline bjraines

Re: Periodic Table Videos
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 10:27:31 AM »
That is a great site and really nice folks there. Chemical Forums should contact them about possibly exchanging links on their site.

My students love how the pronounce elements differently (I am in southern USA)

Offline theangrybaby

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Periodic Table Data Set (HTML, SQL and CSV formats available)
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2009, 11:36:57 PM »
While searching through the internet, I found it hard to find a downloadable periodic table data set, so I made one. There is an HTML table there for quick reference, aswell as 2 ways to download the data (A SQL dump and a CSV file). Hope you find it useful.

http://akiscode.com/pt

Sponsored Links