March 28, 2024, 11:10:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: New Periodic Table  (Read 189973 times)

Offline Cobalt

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
Re: What Is Your Favorite Online Periodic Table Link?
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2015, 06:34:18 PM »

rasiel

Periodic Table of the Elements Display Case
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2015, 07:24:07 PM »
Hello everyone!

I've been a long time collector of elements and earlier this year I set about making a case to display them. I ended up making two actually. The first ended up getting a couple of stress cracks so I'll end up keeping it. The second one I'd like to sell for $500. I know it's a lot but there's a ton of work involved and the raw materials aren't cheap. Cheap plastic yellows over time and gets tiny cracks that turn it hazy. Lucite stays crystal clear but is quite a bit more expensive. The measurements are 1050mm width, 550mm in length and 50mm thick. Each cell is just over 50mm in width so as to accommodate elements that are embedded in 50x50mm acrylic blocks (I'm getting into casting these too!) or you can put bare mineral samples or whatever. The whole thing weighs almost 30 pounds and could be hung up on a wall if you drill a couple of holes. As is it can just stand on its own so you can see it from the front and back or allowed to lay down like a coffee table.

The one for sale is the same except without the title stenciled in. If you have any questions please let me know!

Rasiel

MathSciGeek

Want a cool Lego Periodic Table?
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2015, 07:55:41 PM »
Wouldn't it be cool if Lego made a Periodic Table kit?  If you want to help make this happen: support this Lego Idea at the following address: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/119922 or Google Lego Ideas and then search for "Periodic Table."  I am a high school chemistry teacher and I love amusing my students with geeky science humor and fun science models like this in my classroom.     

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2015, 10:28:50 AM »
http://www.ciaaw.org/

This is the Commission on Isotopic Abundances and Atomic Weights
Internet site

hollyr

Would anyone be able to help me proofread my periodic table?
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2016, 07:44:25 PM »
I make dresses for women in STEM (and sometimes shirts for guys too!) and one of my most popular items is the Periodic Table Dress.
With the four new elements now being added I need to update it and have done so, but I've been told there is a mistake in the old design and I can't figure out what it is. (It was a comment left on my website, with no explanation.) It's making me go crazy that I can't figure out where the mistake is. Would you be able to help me find it? Maybe it was just a troll, but it'd be nice to know before I spend the time to make this new dress with all that it entails.

And here is a picture of the old dress. The only thing I changed from the old design was a few colours and I switched the 4 new upcoming elements.

Thank you again so much for any help you can offer!

If this is not the right place to post this, please let me know!

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 02:56:36 AM by Borek »

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Would anyone be able to help me proofread my periodic table?
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2016, 10:37:52 PM »
Nothin's jumping out at me except maybe some of the metalloid assignments, but they are defensible. One thing you might be careful with is assigning the new elements to certain categories, because it is unclear what their properties would be (if they lived long enough to have bulk properties). For example, is element 118 a noble gas? You might want to reserve a "gray" category for these and some of the other recently discovered elements.

Also as I understand it the new element names are not official yet, so you may want to wait until they are before you do any mass printing. :)
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2016, 11:26:14 PM »
You used an old method of group numbering - now 1 to 18 is used.
AWK

hollyr

« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2016, 09:43:22 PM »
Thank you a million AWK and Corribus!

I've added 1-18 as you suggested (someone on Reddit mentioned I should keep in the old IA-VIIIA system, so I did. Is it used at all?)

I also changed the four new elements to a white unassigned color, which incidentally highlights them nicely. Does the term 'Unassigned' work best do you think?

All my dresses are printed on fabric individually and then made by hand here in California, so I can afford to update the design occasionally. :)

Offline jasongnome

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • Chemistry teacher.
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2016, 03:01:13 AM »
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Theodore Gray's periodic table table. Possibly not the best research tool, but an excellent general interest site (and a great one for getting kids interested. He basically built a periodic table table out of wood and stores much of his element collection in it.

www.periodictabletable.com

It's also interactive but has photos, stories, videos and rotating images of his own samples. He won the 2002 Ig Nobel prize for chemistry for the table itself.

Theo writes for Popular Science magazine and has also published his own paper periodic tables (which are the best I've seen) a few books and a deck of periodic table cards (one for each element).

WebElements ( www.webelements.com )is one that has been around as long as I can remember and has a lot of information about each element. As well as interesting information about discovery, uses etc, it aqlso has a lot of physical and chemical data and is a useful reference tool.

...and for sheer beauty, the RSC's "Visual element" table has a piece of digital art for each element created by Murray Robertson. http://www.rsc.org/periodic-table (then click on Visual Elements Images on the top left). The normal table is a good interactive one as well, and has a slider so you can see the states of elements at any temperature.
When you are courting a nice girl, an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. (Albert Einstein)

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2016, 09:39:22 AM »
http://www.ptable.com/
check this one also .

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2016, 04:59:18 PM »
This page has a couple of cute ones:  http://elements.wlonk.com/
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

webbpct

Periodic Table Display Case - start your element collection today
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2017, 03:17:33 PM »
New to the market! Our Periodic Table Display Case easily can be mounted to your wall or sit on your desk.  Enjoy the lifeline hobby of collecting the elements that make up our universe.  Made right here in the US of quality Baltic Birch.  3 sizes: 48 wide, 36 wide and 24 wide

Start  your element collection today!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/531661077/periodic-table-display-shelf

webbpct

Re: Periodic Table Display Case - start your element collection today
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2017, 06:53:41 PM »
Any feedback, questions or suggestions are more than welcome!!

Thanks!

Offline wlwl2

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
New periodic table and chemistry reference: cptable.com
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2017, 07:47:57 PM »
Hi All,

I've made a tool (cptable.com) that I think might be able to help others. What differentiates this reference from other references:

• Electronegativity info built in!.
  • molecular weight calc.
  • search for position of elements
  • better mobile support (actually better UI/UX was one of the main goals)
  • Once the analytical chem charts are up it will be a much better tool - something I would definitely use more often (because of the references).

This is unlike the other periodic tables I've seen, which are nice for more one-off cases (I guess they were not made with the same goals in mind).

I would rely on this tool a lot as a chemist (in the lab and for exams), not many of the other websites I've seen are in the same situation.

I hope that this is able to reach someone out there who will find it useful.

Sponsored Links