March 28, 2024, 09:05:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Trying to figure out how much/what is in this stuff  (Read 4075 times)

Offline l3oogie

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Trying to figure out how much/what is in this stuff
« on: February 28, 2010, 01:24:09 AM »
Ok so im trying to duplicate a Non-Toxic and biodegradable cleaner i use to sell door to door... I really dont know if im posting in the right website or forum. I have the msds sheet and this is what it mainly reads about whats in it... im clueless about it. What im trying to figure out is whats in it and how much. I know its mainly made of water... I don't know how much of the msds sheet you guys need to figure it out... if you need more let me know.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SECTION 2. CHEMICAL COMPONENTS / HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS

CHEMICAL IDENTITY CAS # ACGIH-TLV OSHA-PEL

Butyl Cellosolve 111-76-2 25 ppm 50 ppm

This product is classified as non hazardous in accordance with the hazard communication standard 29 CER 1910.1200
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAZARD RATINGS
Health = 1
Flammability = 0
Reactivity = 0
Personal Protection = A
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------SECTION 3. PHYSICAL DATA
BOILING POINT: 212F
VAPOR PRESSURE: NA
SPECIFIC GRAVITY: 1.03
SOLUBILITY IN WATER: 100%
APPEARANCE & ODOR: Clear liquid, characteristic color
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------SECTION 4. FIRE AND EXPLOSION DATA
FLASH POINT: Non combustible
EXTINGUISHING MEDIA: Water spray, foam, or dry chemical.
SPECIAL FIRE FIGHTING PROCEDURES: Extreme heat or flames may produce
noxious or toxic fumes, fire fighters should use a self contained breathing apparatus if
this product is being consumed with fire.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SECTION 5. REACTIVITY DATA
STABILITY: Stable
CONDITIONS TO AVOID: None known.
INCOMPATIBILITY-MATERIALS TO AVOID: Strong oxidizers.
HAZARDOUS DECOMPOSITION: Oxides of carbon, nitrogen, phosphorus,
unidentified organic compounds.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the threads that i read on the site before posting alot of you guys seem like really intelligent people... needless to say im not that smart when it comes to this stuff. I know it reads that there is Butyl Cellosolve in it... but when i sold the product i was told that there was Butyl Cellosolve, sodium sulfonate, and sodium gluconate.... i was told that the Sulfonate and gluconate was added to make bubbles to lift up stains in carpet... I was also told that the Butyl Cellosolve was 1 part out of 1,000,000 ... which equals i eye drop to a gallon jug of water.. Can anyone confirm that by the msds sheet? Anyway if anyone can help me i would really appreciate it. Thanks to all that try and figure it out.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Trying to figure out how much/what is in this stuff
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 04:35:08 AM »
MSDS doesn't state what is the composition of the liquid. The only thing that it tells about it is that it contains

Butyl Cellosolve 111-76-2 25 ppm 50 ppm

Now, no idea why it states 25 & 50 ppm at the same time, but ppm is a measure of concentration. ppm stands for parts per million - so a drop in a gallon sounds like a reasonable approximation of 50 ppm, at least orders of magnitude are right.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
Re: Trying to figure out how much/what is in this stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 05:34:29 AM »
MSDS's are there to tell you the hazards of the material and how to store it, deal with exposure/spills and how to dispose of it later.  Therefore they only need to state the hazardous materials in the product but they do not have to give the exact composition to stop people using them to make an identical product without the hard work of development.

So you can not use an MSDS to make a "me too"

Sponsored Links