April 24, 2024, 07:24:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Intermolecular Forces of Benophenone and Cyclohexanone  (Read 19057 times)

Offline ideaessence

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Intermolecular Forces of Benophenone and Cyclohexanone
« on: March 01, 2010, 07:05:52 PM »
Hi.

I'm working on a lab report and these questions arose:

What are the dominant intermolecular forces in cyclohexanone? What are the dominant intermolecular forces in benzophenone?

It seems that both of them have dipole-dipole forces where that double-bond connected to the Oxygen is. And, benzophenone looks like it has a larger nonpolar part per molecule. Nonetheless, it seems to me that both have dipole-dipole forces and London/dispersion forces. Is this correct? How do I know what the dominant forces are? From what I understand, London/dispersion forces are weaker in nearly all cases, but not all cases, so I don't know how to tell for sure on this one.

The next question reads:

Why is benzophenone a solid at room temperature?

I assume this relates to intermolecular forces being stronger in benzophenone, but I don't see how to arrive at that conclusion. The benzophenone looks like it has a larger nonpolar region than the cyclohexanone. Does a delocalized part of a molecule have polarity or something?

Thanks for any help.

Offline Smrt guy

• Mole Snacks: +5/-4
Re: Intermolecular Forces of Benophenone and Cyclohexanone
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 09:06:30 PM »
Benzophenone has pi-pi interactions.  This and the significantly larger mass result in it being a solid with cyclohexanone being a liquid.

Sponsored Links