March 29, 2024, 08:31:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Alkene / Acid-catalyzed  (Read 7740 times)

Offline viet

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Alkene / Acid-catalyzed
« on: March 04, 2010, 07:22:26 PM »
cyclobutylmethanol + H2SO4 (plus Heat)  proceed in E1 mechanism which gives 2 alkenes. One alkene would be methylenecyclobutane, I'm not sure how to find the other alkene.

Offline Smrt guy

• Mole Snacks: +5/-4
Re: Alkene / Acid-catalyzed
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 09:00:39 PM »
The major product would likely be derived from a hydride shift.  The subsequent deprotonation to give the alkene could happen at any of the three alpha positions.  Two of them would give 1-methylcyclobutene and the other gives methylenecyclobutane.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 11:40:13 PM »
It is often difficult to predict rearrangement reactions. However, I have suggested that ring expansions are an often used example. Although the direct elimination often occurs as well, the ring expansion product should be anticipated here to give cyclopentene.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 07:30:06 AM »
Can we say anything about the relative amounts of the products?
Since a 5-membered ring suffers lesser angle strain, can we conclude that cyclopentene would be the major product?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 09:31:11 AM »
"Addition of hydrogen bromide to 3-methyl-1-butene gives after rearrangement, 2-bromo-2-methylbutane. Often, I am uncertain whether a rearrangement should take place. This is a frequently used example. You can decide from the product mixture how difficult it can be to predict whether a rearrangement should take place."
This is from A Handbook of Organic Chemistry Mechanisms. The ratio was 55% rearranged and 45% unrearranged.

I don't recall where I got the data from. I was mainly using secondary sources to find reactions and many of them simply indicate major products. For me, a textbook should give actual percentages rather than major and minor. I realize that some reactions are quite variable and this may be somewhat misleading also.

Because I was searching for this data, I found it difficult to find examples in which 100% rearrangement occurs. In this example, I would expect cyclopentene to be the major product, but I would also expect that unrearranged products would also be present.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline viet

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 10:02:13 AM »
thank guys, cyclopentene is correct.

Sponsored Links