April 19, 2024, 12:48:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: ionic strength  (Read 7669 times)

Offline ionic81

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
ionic strength
« on: March 06, 2010, 07:20:09 AM »
Hi,

I have a solution containing acetic acid and NaCl. The solution is adjusted to a particular pH value by adding NaOH. For the calculation of the undissociated acetic acid concentration, I use the correction suggested by Sortwell 2001 (J. Food Prot. 63(2): 222-230 (2000)), which says that I have to account for the ionic strength in order to calculate pKa properly.

But my question is: how do I calculate this ionic strength? Do I only take NaCl into account? Or do I also account for the presence of NaOH?

Thanks!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: ionic strength
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 07:33:39 AM »
http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=ionic-strength-activity-coefficients

Edit/shameless advertising: note that in most systems you will have troubles calculating corrections, as ionic strength modifies activity coefficients which in turn shifts the equilibrium, which changes ionic strength and so on. For reasonably accurate results you need to do the calculations iteratively. It can be done manually (usually about two iterations are enough), but it is a waste of time. There are programs that do such calculations much better. See my signature.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Pradeep

• Mole Snacks: +5/-3
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 01:24:09 PM »
you  should consider the presence of NaOH.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:36:13 PM by Borek »

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 01:33:34 AM »
you  should consider the presence of NaOH.

There is no NaOH in the presence of acetic acid (if acid is in excess). Ionic strength in this case is a sum of ionic strengths of NaCl and CH3COONa
AWK

Offline Pradeep

• Mole Snacks: +5/-3
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 02:21:15 AM »
Of cause. That is what I tried to say. But sorry for poor language. That should be CH3COONa and NaCl.

Sponsored Links