March 29, 2024, 07:55:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Factors that effect reaction rates  (Read 4647 times)

Akuma2636

Factors that effect reaction rates
« on: July 24, 2005, 12:43:31 AM »
I'm having problems with some questions in my Chemistry book. I don't really understand what they're trying to ask me.

The question is 'Why are many catalysts used in the form of fine wire mesh?'
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 12:44:10 AM by Akuma2636 »

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re:Factors that effect reaction rates
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 01:14:59 AM »
Catalysts will generally bind one or more of the reactants to promote a reaction and make it go faster.  For solids, this means that the reactants must bind at the solid's surface.  Hence, the more surface area a catalyst has, the greater number of reactions it can catalyze at once.  By making your catalyst into a fine wire mesh, you maximize the surface area of the catalyst.

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 02:24:46 AM »
catalysts are designed to speed up the rate of reaction. there are other ways to speed up the rate of reaction too, like exposed surface area of a solid.
one learns best by teaching

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 08:00:31 PM »
fine-wire-mesh catalysts are usually heterogenous catalysts. the reactants bind to the surface of the catalyst before the reaction proceeds to form the required products. the fine wire mesh structure maximises the area of the catalyst exposed to the reactants where the reaction can proceed. in another words, the amount of reactant that binds to the catalyst surface is maximised, thus increasing the reaction rate substantially.

the fine-wire-mesh design allows the the reactant to be transported as a fluid carries the reactant is pumped over the wire-mesh. as soon the product is formed and leaves the catalyst surface, the fluid current carries the product away. this facilitates the absorption of another reactant substrate on the surface.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links