March 29, 2024, 01:58:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Poll

Is it worth it doing my PHD?

Maybe it is, as i may want to do lecturing in the future
0 (0%)
It may be a waste of my time if im not going to earn any more money from the extra 4 yrs
0 (0%)
I enjoy studying and dont feel i know enough yet to work for someone, so maybe for my own benefit i should stay and learn more in this field
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Topic: Biochemistry PHD ???  (Read 6054 times)

BeKKy

Biochemistry PHD ???
« on: July 24, 2005, 08:42:50 AM »
Hey,  ???

I am a biochemistry student and i love this subject... I have a real passion for it. I finish my undergraduate degree this year and as my marks have been good i will definitly go on and do my Honours in biochem.

If i enjoy the honours year i will seriously be thinking of doing my PHD. Is it worth spending the extra 4 or so years studying, or should i look at getting into the workforce?
I also enjoy the idea of lecturing this subject in the future (which i would need my PHD for).

I dont want to be stuck in a dead end job in 10 yrs time that cant take me anywhere, and i dont want to be earning bad/OK money for the rest of my life...

With this in mind:
Is it worth doing a PHD in this field?
What are the approximate earnings of a bachelors, a honours and a PHD graduate in biochemistry?
And how far can each graduate excel in the workforce?

thanx heaps
BeKKy  :daisy:

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Biochemistry PHD ???
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 08:23:16 PM »
i think universities nowadays require their lecturers to have few years of post-doc research experience. nowadays, the age of A/Prof are decreasingly rapidly, especially in United States. A/Profs used to be in their 40s. Now you can see A/Profs in their early 30s or lates 20s.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links