April 18, 2024, 05:43:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How is copper oxalate formed?  (Read 21148 times)

Offline Timothy

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How is copper oxalate formed?
« on: March 13, 2010, 10:13:58 AM »
When copper(II) sulphate pentahydrate is dissolved in water and added to potassium oxalate hydrate that is also dissolved in water, copper oxalate is formed and K2SO4 and H2O is also formed, I think. Does anybody know what is formed for this mechanism or what the mechanism is itself.

Thanks

Offline BluRay

• Mole Snacks: +9/-2
Re: How is copper oxalate formed?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 12:00:44 PM »
Which do you think are the relative solubilities?

Offline Timothy

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 12:29:17 PM »
I think that the products are K2SO4 and CuC2O4 as well as H2O. The overall equation would be CuSO4.5H2O + K2C2O4.H2O = CuC2O4 + K2SO4 + H20. However when I checked this on an online chemical equation balancer, it said it was an impossible equation. I have checked in my first year chemistry manual and it said that K2SO4 is soluble. That is why it is easy to only have CuC2O4 when filtered off but it seems my products are not correct.

Offline BluRay

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 02:48:50 PM »
You only have to correct the number of water molecules produced by the reaction, for the rest it's correct (the reaction happens because CuSO4 and K2C2O4 are both water soluble, while CuC2O4 is not).

Offline Timothy

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 04:21:27 PM »
Thanks for the help.

I have got another question regarding both the CuSO4.5H2O and K2C2O4.H2O. When they are dissolved in water, since the waters attached to the molecules, they are waters of crystallization. How do these complex compounds dissolve in water. I have looked at many web pages and people either say they partially get Cu(H2O)4 2+ + SO4= while others say the answer is Cu2+ and SO42- ions. Which is correct?
Thanks

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 05:23:01 PM »
Copper is always complexed, either by water or by some other ligands. Water - in water solutions - is usually ignored, but if not for the ligand presence copper solution wouldn't be blue.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Timothy

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 05:39:29 PM »
Hi Borek

Ok, that makes sense, so when when copper(II) Sulphate pentahydrate is added to water, the copper sulphate retains it waters of hydration. If what I am saying is correct, when added to another solution which contains potassium oxalate hydrate solution, Copper oxalate, potassium sulphate and water is produced? How would you write that in an equation? Thanks

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 06:11:13 PM »
This is more like copper, not copper sulfate, retains its water of hydration. And not necesarilly all 5 molecules of water are bonded with copper. In the case of potassium oxalate water just goes directly into solution.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Timothy

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 06:15:25 PM »
I dont quite understand, when copper(II) sulphate pentahydrate is added to water, what are the products?

Offline Timothy

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 03:05:44 PM »
Does anybody have a possible answer to my problem, any help will be greatly appreciated, I have to hand my write up in on the 15 March 2010. Thanks

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 04:17:50 PM »
I am not really sure what your problem is. The reaction equation that you gave earlier is generally OK on some level, I have no idea what level of details you need (and I am not able to give much more detailed answer without browsing my books). It can be balanced for sure.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 04:28:54 PM by Borek »

Offline BluRay

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 05:50:48 PM »
I dont quite understand, when copper(II) sulphate pentahydrate is added to water, what are the products?
CuSO4.5H2O + water   ::equil::  Cu(H2O)42+ + SO42- + H2O

Offline Timothy

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 03:36:02 PM »
Hi BluRay and Borek

Thanks for all the help, I was able to get the work done.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links