April 25, 2024, 08:15:00 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to write the Electronic Configuration of any atom???  (Read 2760 times)

Offline panzer

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to write the Electronic Configuration of any atom???
« on: March 14, 2010, 11:56:04 AM »
Hi everyone!

I am studying electronic configuration at the moment.I understood everything about it but i started having problems when i started to fill the d shells For instance Scandium : 1s2 2s2p6 3s2p6d1 4s2.

I already know that 2s2p6 is equal to 8 electrons but i don't know what 3s2p6d1 is??? How many electron are there. Why use d1 why not s1.

Please be as simple as possible. I am New to A-level. I am really bad at explaining stuff. Please Forgive me for not explaining well. I will give u any extra info if u need to.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: How to write the Electronic Configuration of any atom???
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 01:24:16 PM »
I already know that 2s2p6 is equal to 8 electrons but i don't know what 3s2p6d1 is??? How many electron are there. Why use d1 why not s1.

3s2p6d1 means 2 electrons on 3s orbital, 6 electrons on 3p orbital, 1 electron on 3d orbital. 2+6+1=9 electrons in total.

According to Aufbau principle after 4s is filled next electrons go to 3d orbital. That is what is happening in the case of scandium.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline chrisss

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: How to write the Electronic Configuration of any atom???
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:07:54 PM »
Well, scandium appears in the metals, which is known as the "d" block, if you chose to use quantum numbers to place scandium on your table you'll see it is the first chemical, on the d block, or d1
was that what you were looking for as an explanation ?

Sponsored Links