April 27, 2024, 12:31:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: lithium carbonate (Li2CO3) Synthesis  (Read 41700 times)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: lithium carbonate (Li2CO3) Synthesis
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2010, 03:50:18 AM »
The only test that I have found that I could use to see if this is in fact lithium carbonate is to burn it but I don't have a heat source strong enough to ignite it.

Lithium carbonate doesn't burn, so there is no heat source strong enough to ignite it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:30:17 AM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2010, 10:10:18 AM »
Decanted then added some acetone.

No.

Filter the precipitated white powder.  Rinse with water.  Then optionally rinse with acetone.  Otherwise you will be precipitating out NaCl into your otherwise-pure Li2CO3.

Suspension in a flame should give the lithium red colour.  Addition to HCl should give bubbles.  There quick and dirty analysis that does not tell you how pure it is, but that it is Lithium carbonate

Offline dudeman

• Mole Snacks: +1/-9
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2010, 11:25:20 AM »
Decanted then added some acetone.

Filter the precipitated white powder.  Rinse with water.  Then optionally rinse with acetone.  Otherwise you will be precipitating out NaCl into your otherwise-pure Li2CO3.

How would this precipitate NaCl? This is confusing to me... (Remember I have no chemistry classes and this is just an awesome hobby)

Offline 408

• Chemist
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2010, 11:51:24 AM »
If you just decant water, there is much salt containing water still mixed with your precipitated carbonate.  If you add acetone to this, you will precipitate out salt from this water as salt is insoluble in acetone.  You need to filter the carbonate first, and then rinse with acetone.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:29:52 AM by Borek »

Offline dudeman

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2010, 12:13:10 PM »
If you just decant water, there is much salt containing water still mixed with your precipitated carbonate.  If you add acetone to this, you will precipitate out salt from this water as salt is insoluble in acetone.  You need to filter the carbonate first, and then rinse with acetone.

Awesome... Thank you...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:31:18 AM by Borek »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 05:33:45 AM »
I have edited the thread removing some parts of it, let's stick to synthesis details.

Learn the lesson.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline typhoon2028

• Mole Snacks: +18/-12
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2010, 09:15:07 AM »
Borek = Censorship

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2010, 10:43:30 AM »
Apart from censoring the posts I can also ban users.

Offline dudeman

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
Ok guys I'm back with an update... Thanks for reopening the thread borek.

I have come to believe that the lithium carbonate I have is quite contaminated. I consider the risks and try to understand what could be contaminating it before testing it and think it is relatively safe since there is most likely nothing highly poisonous in it.

The only possible contaminates I can think of would be the reactants. Sodium Carbonate (acidic) and lithium chloride (Small amount of lithium chloride solution had a ph of 4). Both reactants are relatively safe compared to cyanide like one user said earlier on in the thread. I have discovered the product to have a hard time drying out. This might be due to contamination with lithium chloride which LOVES water and basically turns into water if left in the open air. I have also found the product to be slightly irritating when a small amount is rubbed into the skin (not a significant risk under the current circumstances).

Reasons for contamination.
-------------------------------------------------
incorrect proportions of reactants
not enough time given for the reaction to complete
poor conditions of the reaction vessel
(tried washing the lithium carbonate finding it pointless)

Solution to remove contaminants
-------------------------------------------------
Completely dry and powder the contaminated lithium carbonate then pour the powder into a flask. Create a weak solution of lithium chloride in ethyl alcohol (my guess is 10%). Add the solution to the flask. Add a stir bar. Place on magnetic stirrer and let it stir for a couple of hours to completely react with any sodium carbonate. Wash with alcohol 3x to remove any lithium chloride then place the lithium carbonate into a filter and wash once with alcohol to remove any last traces of lithium chloride.

Would this work?

EDIT:
Just to let you guys know. Since some of you are curious. I will be using this substance in some bottle rockets later on down the road. I will upload a picture or two if that is allowed.

No body in their right mind would want to take this substance as a medicine. It's specifically reserved for those who are severely mentally ill and prescribed as a last resort due to the chance of liver and kidney damage. I also believe that it is illegal to sell this substance for ingestion. It's legal to put it in fireworks and stuff though.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:57:12 PM by dudeman »

Offline 408

• Chemist
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2010, 03:13:46 PM »
Use the stoichiometric correct amounts of reagents.
Aqueous solutions of each.
Mix and stirr for a few hours
Filter
rinse with water (NOT pointless)
rinse ethanol
dry
make rockets.

Why the lithium salt?  Strontium gives red too, and is cheaper.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2010, 05:37:15 PM »
Sodium Carbonate (acidic)

if this wasn't a typo, please do some kind of reading so you can understand the chemistry behind your experiment

Offline dudeman

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2010, 08:43:22 AM »
Like I said in my last post. How might I remove these contaminants? The mass is to sticky to wash when in the filter 408. The only way I could wash this is to put it back into solution and decant due to the nature of the compound. Its like wet flower only it has the characteristics of corn starch too. To hard to wash.

Offline dudeman

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2010, 08:45:51 AM »
Sodium Carbonate (acidic)

if this wasn't a typo, please do some kind of reading so you can understand the chemistry behind your experiment

what I meant was that it is irritating. I got a wiff of some dust from when I opened the bag and wow did my lungs feel a pinch.

Offline 408

• Chemist
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2010, 09:29:43 AM »
Ah, you lack vacuum filtration...

Decant off supernatant.  Add water.  stir then allow to settle.  Repeat this a bunch of times.

Then filter.

Offline jcmtz

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2010, 09:03:45 PM »
isnt Li2CO3 dangerous? in a kind a works as a depressant or some.

if its used in pyro and you want the red color, you could try stronium chloride too

Sponsored Links