March 29, 2024, 05:37:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Provide mechanism involving...  (Read 3933 times)

sweetdaisy186

Provide mechanism involving...
« on: July 22, 2005, 09:07:16 PM »
Provide a mechanism that involves a catalyst, Cat, and an intermediate, I, that aggress with the rate law, rate = k[cat][A] for the net reaction A + 2B-> C + D.

I don't understand the whole mechanism term. What does that mean? My teacher gave me a hint and said that I'm not supposed to give a graph, but apply a Hess's Law type concept. I am still confused. Could someone please give me an example? Thanks!

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Provide mechanism involving...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 12:02:37 AM »
reaction mechanism refers to how a chemical reaction occurs step by step. the overall reaction gives us the stoichiometric balance of all the reactants and products. it does not account for intermediates. in writing out the reaction mechanism, the intermediates are accounted for. the intermediate present may be consumed in another reaction step as soon it is formed.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

sweetdaisy186

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 09:05:15 PM »
Hmmm, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Would this be correct then?

A + Cat + B --> I + D
I + B --> C + Cat

All of this adds up to A + 2B --> C + D with the rate=K[cat][A]

Thanks!

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 06:34:11 PM »
it's correct. you must also label the first step as the slow step, aka rate-determining step.

:thmbup:
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

sweetdaisy186

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 10:50:18 PM »
OMG! yea!!!! I know what I am doing!!! That makes my happy!!! Thanks for your *delete me*!!  ;D

Sponsored Links