April 20, 2024, 09:39:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Please help me as fast as possible  (Read 3327 times)

Offline XBOX999

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Please help me as fast as possible
« on: March 24, 2010, 12:39:39 AM »
Low density polyethylene is a highly branched polymer primarily used in the production of grocery bags and shrink wrap. Ethylene under supercritical conditions is polymerized in the presence of a catalyst at 230°C to produce a unique product having low crystallinity and high flexibility. This particular type of polyethylene is produced in a tubular reactor 2 km long at a pressure of 35,000 psig. No other process has been developed to date to produce a product with these unique and highly desired properties.
Given that the inside diameter of the pipe is 2.5 in.:

a) Using the compressibility factor, determine the quantity (mass) of ethylene in the 2 km pipe
B ) Compare this quantity to the amount of material in the pipe based on the ideal gas law.
c) Which method gives the more reliable answer?
d) In one or two sentences, explain your choice in part c).
I am first year student.This is my first semester. Universal gas Constant is in atm. And the temperature is in Kalven.I think I need the diameter to finde the volume.
I want to use PV=Zmean RT
Please help me by telling me how can I solve this problem.And if you can give me the final answer.

Offline metallstone

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Please help me as fast as possible
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 06:29:37 PM »
you need to find the Z of the polyethylene and the molecular mass. If you dont know the Z you can find it using the critical critical variables and theorem of corresponding states

Sponsored Links