March 29, 2024, 05:24:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: materials that will snap/sieze a drill bit or skill saw blade?  (Read 4271 times)

Offline lortech

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I am making a theft proof box that could be markatable. In order to prevent the hardiest of thieves from breaking into it, I want to make it so difficult, that if the thief tried to cut/drill his way into the box, the material will grab onto the drill or blade of a saw and sieze it. The only thing I can think of is sandwiching some heavy gage stainless steel scrubbing pads between two layers of material. The stainless steel pad would wrap its self around the blade,drill making it extreemly difficult to cut open the box.

Now, I have heard of liquid armour. Seems a professor from univeristy of maryland created this liquid that would become very viscous when the fluid is mixed. Its strong enough to stop a shank from penatrating a bullet proof vest, which amrid fiber or kevlar, has a difficult time of stoping a shank from penatrating the vest.

Can anyone think of materials such as plastics that can make a thiefs life misserable to penatrate a box?

Thanks

Offline DemonicAcid

• Mole Snacks: +6/-4
Re: materials that will snap/sieze a drill bit or skill saw blade?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 06:07:58 AM »
What immediately comes to mind would be a super-hard material. However, what you talk about is a non-Newtonian fluid which would also work in the right situations.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
Re: materials that will snap/sieze a drill bit or skill saw blade?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 08:44:07 PM »
You could also engineer some gaps and angled hardened baffles, so that the drill bit would hit the gap and jump forward, snapping the tip off when it hit the baffle.

Ceramic sandwiched inside would also quickly dull the blades.

Sponsored Links