April 20, 2024, 09:45:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Back-titrating a mixture of oxalic and benzoic acids  (Read 7623 times)

Offline zindarg

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Back-titrating a mixture of oxalic and benzoic acids
« on: March 26, 2010, 09:05:17 PM »
"An unknown amount of acid can often be determined by adding an excess of base and then "back-titrating" the excess. A 0.3471 g sample of a mixture of oxalic acid, which has two ionizable protons and benzoic, which has one, is treated with 100. mL of 0.1000 M NaOH. The excess NaOH is titrated with 20.0 mL of .2 M HCl. Find the mass % of benzoic acid."
Well I started by finding number of moles of OH- actually used by finding total minus excess, which I got to be .01 moles -.004 moles = .006 moles of actual used OH- in the neutralization reaction. After that I tried dividing by three since the mixture contains a total of 3 H+ ions but benzoic acid only has one of the three, and I got .002 moles of benzoic acid times its molecular mass (122.12g/mol) and got .24424 g divided by the total (.3471g) multiplied by 100 and got 70.4%, however when I try to apply the same principles to oxalic acid, to try and check myself, I get a too large value and end up with .002 moles of oxalic acid times molecular mass (90.03g/mol) and get .18g divided by the total and multiplied by 100 which yields 51%... needless to say, these don't add up to 100% and I don't have any clue what to do now, any help would be appreciated  :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Back-titrating a mixture of oxalic and benzoic acids
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 05:29:18 AM »
You can't divide by three - that's equivalent to assuming the mixture contains exactly one mole of oxalic acid per each mole of benzoic acid. If you would know they are mixed in 1:1 ratio there will be no need to determine the mixture composition.

Assume you have x moles of benzoic and y moles of oxalic - try to express given information (mass of the sample, amount of NaOH required for neutralization) using these variables. That will give you two equations in two unknowns - just solve.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline zindarg

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 01:11:03 PM »
Ok, so using the X moles of benzoic acid and Y moles of oxalic acid and I get the mass of the mixture = .3471 g = ((x moles benzoic acid)*(122.12 g/mole))+((y moles oxalic acid)*(90.03g/mole)) and for moles of OH- needed for neutralization I get .006 mole OH- = x moles benzoic acid + y moles of oxalic acid. Are these right? and from there I am lost, I tried solving for one variable and substituting but I never get a plausible answer, I think either my logic is flawed or my equations are wrong, and thanks again for all the help :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 03:22:44 PM »
.006 mole OH- = x moles benzoic acid + y moles of oxalic acid

Close, but wrong. How many acidic protons in each acid?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline zindarg

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 08:16:27 PM »
So is it .006 moles OH- = .006 H+ = (1) x moles H+ (from benzoic acid) + (2) Y moles H+ (from oxalic acid) ? And then do I solve for X moles benzoic and substitute it into mass %?

Offline zindarg

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 02:37:40 AM »
I think I got it! Thanks so much! :)

Sponsored Links