Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Biodiesel  (Read 16210 times)

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re:Biodiesel
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 11:41:21 PM »
Something to ponder!

How many acres of land would be needed to grow plants that produce oil if a family unit uses 20000 gallons per year of bio-diesel for transportation and home heating?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 04:18:11 AM »
Licensing

Through all my readings about bio-diesel, I do not recollect a discussion of licensing. But, given the way government agencies work, I bet there are some regulations or laws that apply. This would apply to people in many countries. Of course this might not be by direct regulation, but rather by and associated process. For instance it is not necessarily illegal here to make ethanol, but transporting over a certain amount may be considered under the regulations of hazardous materials or making over a certain amount without paying alcohol tax may be illegal. I had this discussion with someone who used to work for an energy department and he insisted that you needed a permit to make bio-diesel in our home state. He was probably talking about making commercially (for sale to others). One wonders how many of us citizen scientist are violating law or regulation when doing chemistry experiments that do not involve drugs, weapons or explosives. We know that in at least one USA State there are laws regulating chemistry glassware. I would expect that Canada has some odd regulations or laws as well.

Offline joeflsts

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • Ten fingers.. ten toes... PHEW!
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 08:10:45 AM »
Joeflsts –

If you are experimenting with bio-diesel and have the time – it would be interesting to see if ethanol will prevent congealing of bio-diesel.

I will check on this this week.  I will submit my findings after I have experimented with this a little.  I plan to test two formulas:  1 with ethanol as the base alcohol and one with methanol.

Joe

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 08:16:27 PM »
My dad owns his own business (selling furnish to large corporations and other businesses). For him to start his business he had to file with the state of New Hampshire. He received a tax I.D. number and he said they called it incorporating. Atleast in my state you have to register with the state. If your making it for personal use you may not need anything. I would check with your local governments about a gasoline tax. This may be considered gasoline in some areas.

If you live in the U.S. check out:
http://www.firstgov.gov/
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 05:30:12 AM »
I doubt you have to do all the process “constant thinker” talks about if you are running a lemonade stand, but you never know. In the States I know about, you do have to register your business name if you do not want someone to steal it. If you go national you might want to create a Trademark.

Sponsored Links