April 25, 2024, 05:16:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: TLC theory confusion  (Read 4049 times)

Offline Shikimic

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
TLC theory confusion
« on: April 05, 2010, 07:44:35 AM »
I've just run an experiment for my O-chem class and I'm unsure about some theory on TLC. I was given a mixture containing two unknown compounds and I had to find an appropriate solvent system that would separate the two well. I was told to use a less polar solvent system if I wanted a greater separation.

I'm aware that a more polar solvent system would bring about greater migration on the TLC plate (solvent better able to compete for the polar silica adsorbent sites) but I haven't been able to find anything on the effects of a less polar solvent (in regards to separating compounds better). So I'm wondering...would a less polar system make the polarity differences between the two compounds more pronounced? I'd really like some literature on this.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: TLC theory confusion
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 08:13:23 AM »
The key is the relative difference in retention factors (RF) of the two components. To achieve better separation you want one component to travel faster relative to the other.

Let's look at an example, a mixture of two compounds A (less polar) and B (more polar), and their RFs in three solvent systems of decreasing polarity, X, Y and Z. Admittedly I have invented these data to illustrate a point, but I think they're quite typical in my experience.

In solvent X, A has RF 0.80 and B 0.50
In solvent Y, A has RF 0.25 and B 0.10
In solvent Z, A has RF 0.10 and B 0.02

When considering which solvent system will be most effective it is quite common for students to initially choose solvent X because the RF difference is the largest (0.30 compared to 0.15 or 0.08). However, if you consider the the mobility of A relative to B (ie the ratio of RFs), you get a different story. In solvent X, the relative mobility of A (compared to B) is 1.6, in solvent Y is 2.5 and in solvent Z is 5. So, although the absolute mobility in solvent system Z is the least, the mobility of A relative to B is greatest in solvent system Z.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Shikimic

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: TLC theory confusion
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 11:41:38 PM »
A perfect reply and it completely makes sense. Thanks for giving me a detailed explanation!  :)

Sponsored Links