April 27, 2024, 11:55:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ascorbic acid for an amphetamine overdose  (Read 10262 times)

Offline sssa

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ascorbic acid for an amphetamine overdose
« on: April 10, 2010, 08:01:05 AM »
Someone know why the ascorbic acid (or Vitamin C) is used in the hospitals to combat a overdose of amphetamine? I know, that as result of this treatment the drug is excreted in the urine.. But why??

It would be interesting to know. Thanks!!!

Offline silentelysium

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Ascorbic acid for an amphetamine overdose
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 04:44:02 PM »
This is pharmacology 101!

Amphetamines are basic drugs and their excretion depends on the fraction of non-ionised to ionised in urine. Ascorbic acid is an acid hence it will make the urine acidic and will protonate the amphetamines as a result. The distal tubule cells in the lower urinary tract reabsorbs molecules which has no charged hence it will be maintained in the circulatory system. So amphetamines are maintained in the system because it is being reabsorbed (I think the pKa of amphetamines are higher than physiological pH so it won't be protonated). To stop the damaging effects of these drugs, ascorbic acid makes the urine acidic and prevents the amphetamines from being absorbed hence preventing further overdose.

My toxicology lecturer said that some people add ammonium bicarbonate with amphetamines to keep a long term high, but it can leave to immediate overdose though!

Offline Ettwat

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Ascorbic acid for an amphetamine overdose
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 08:10:32 PM »
some people add ammonium bicarbonate with amphetamines to keep a long term high, but it can leave to immediate overdose though!

-did you mean sodium bicarbonate?

Oh wow this is a two year bumb

Sponsored Links