April 26, 2024, 02:33:59 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Will and indicator of phenolpthalein turn red or purple in Back Titration?  (Read 3559 times)

Offline teachwalking

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I have been working on a back titration problem. I need to create a color change when the solution becomes neutral. May I use phenolphthalein? Since it normally changes to pink when the end point of titration is reached, will it become red or purple with back titration? I haven't really had any Science, so I am struggling (still I rise). Thanks

Offline hobobot

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
Does this chart help?

It is a full color PDF that shows what color an indicator will change in a certain pH.

The letters on the chart are just acronyms for color.  B=blue C=clear and so on.

http://www.napavalley.edu/people/sfawl/Documents/Chem%20121/pH_Chart_-_Full_Color.pdf

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
You need to know your final pH. This doesn't have to be neutral, depending on the substances used.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline teachwalking

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
You need to know your final pH. This doesn't have to be neutral, depending on the substances used.
Let's just say that my ph will be neutral when I end my back titration. Also, did you realize that you are the same age as Demi Moore? She's doing great for her age. If you were born in '62, that would make you a Tiger in the Chinese Zodiac (just an FYI). Thanks. Also,I need to express my great sorrow at your nation's loss. I feel so very sorry for the extend of the tragedy to the people of Poland.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Let's just say that my ph will be neutral when I end my back titration.

It probably won't be, so you are trying to start with a wrong assumption. But you need to select an indicator that changes color close to the neutral pH. You may use indicator table that was linked to earlier or the one at titrations.info

http://www.titrations.info/acid-base-titration-indicators-preparation

And thank you for your concern, it was indeed a tragic day in Poland.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links