March 28, 2024, 07:17:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Classroom vs. Lab  (Read 35215 times)

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
Re:Classroom vs. Lab
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2005, 08:36:36 AM »
the biggest defining difference between lab and classroom i've perceived so far is in the smells and the colours. what one visualises is drastically different from what really happens. i always thought when chlorine was formed, a dense greenish yellow gas would come out. so far all i've seen is the yellow greenish marks left on the test tube (not even sure if they're marks of chlorine!)
one learns best by teaching

GCT

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2005, 11:01:43 PM »
This morning I was sitting in on the intro organic chemistry class that I am TAing.  Suddenly I was struck by the disparity between "paper" or "classroom" chemistry and the chemistry that we actually carry out in the lab.  For example, a simple Grignard reaction with an aldehyde is easy to draw out on paper.  However, there is quite a lot of technique involved in actually performing a Grignard reaction.  It seems that all of these subtleties are glossed over in the classroom.

So, my question is do you think students learn chemistry better in the lab or in the classroom?  I realize that both are necessary, but which is more effective?

Comments from anyone at any level are welcome!

I think that you learn a lot about terminology in the class, and I think that it is a good way for introduction to concepts that are reinforced in the lab.  You hear about these concepts during class and compete to master the concepts. Then you discover the subtleties during lab.  Hands on approach alone just doesn't cut it in the end, I think that a masterful chemist should have plenty of book smarts and be able to learn completely from simply reading a text or a research paper and applying it to the lab.

GCT

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2005, 11:08:42 PM »
forgot to answer the essence of the question

So, my question is do you think students learn chemistry better in the lab or in the classroom?  I realize that both are necessary, but which is more effective?

I think it really depends on how smart you really are, if one is accute enough to make quick logical and scientific deductions, the lab is an essential.  One can develop a skill in the lab and a working memory, which are invaluable towards a future in research, yeah lab sessions are more valuable towards the learning experience, it really separates those who have the potential from those who don't.

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2005, 01:01:23 AM »
There are a handful of professors who are somewhat infamous for not being the most capable chemist in the lab, but who are still capable of designing great projects for graduate students, etc.  How do you think these people fit in?

GCT

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2005, 02:12:06 PM »
There are a handful of professors who are somewhat infamous for not being the most capable chemist in the lab, but who are still capable of designing great projects for graduate students, etc.  How do you think these people fit in?

Well, I think that they are very useful in the chemistry field, however more in the academic sector.  I'm not appealing to the elite here, any one who shows dedication should prove useful in any research or academic field.  

I just think that, if one were able, an individual learns more during the hands-on experiment lab than in the classroom.  Its sort redudant really, if you're good in the lab, than you'll have no problem in...perhpas....not even working in the lab but rather reading upon the mainstream research.  I mean it's in the lab where you really discover what's going on.  

Linkiroth

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2005, 02:55:29 PM »
Classroom.

While laboratory experience reinforces the lecture and has a tendancy to be more exciting, classroom lecture is a nescessity. You can have lecture without lab, but it's far more difficult to have lab without lecture. Neither is MORE important, however, classroom can exist without lab, lab is much harder to function without classroom studies.

Sponsored Links