April 28, 2024, 12:10:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Redox reaction  (Read 3052 times)

Offline khwcm

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Redox reaction
« on: May 05, 2010, 05:51:41 AM »
for the reaction:
(1) Cu2+ + e-   ::equil:: Cu+    Eo = +0.15v
(2) Cu2+ + I-    ::equil:: CuI(s) Eo = +0.86v

for the half equation in equation (2), there should be 2 reactions involved:
redox: Cu2+ + e- :rarrow: Cu+
ppt:    Cu+ + I-   :rarrow: CuI(s)

since the precipitation didnt involved change in oxidation number, so it is not a redox reaction => the emf of the cell should not be affected by precipitation in the initial condition.

note that the Eo value have intrinsic property, so why the Eo values in equation (1) is different from that in (2)?

Offline Tilc

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Redox reaction
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 11:31:45 AM »
You should understand that reaction in 1 stage better than in 2. Ligand I- changes Eº, then it "becomes" E, not Eº standard because there aren't free ions Cu2+ on solution, there are CuI and the environment (envelope?) of Cu its different now.

That's the same reason that allows H2O2 oxidize Co2+ to Co3+ when NH3 are in solution, but not in water solution:

Co3+ +1é  ::equil:: Co2+  Eº=1,92v
(Co(NH3)6) 3+  ::equil:: [Co(NH3)6] 2+  Eº=0,10v

H2O2 2H+ 2é  ::equil:: 2H2O   Eº=1,776v

In water, without NH3, reaction doesn't occur because E=1,776-1,92<0, but in the presence of NH3 (ligand or solvent) E=1,776-0,10>0, thats a spontaneous reaction.

*I'm sorry for my translated english, I dont know specific words sometimes :)

Offline Dark Vaati

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Redox reaction
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 04:18:18 PM »
The potential is different just because the ions involved in the process are also different, as Tilc said. Note that, in addition, the precipitation does not involve any redox process, but it does affect the presence of Cu+ cations in solution, so the equilibrium between Cu2+ and Cu+ is also affected and the reaction towards Cu+ is easier. That's why the potential is higher, meaning the reaction is more favorable.

Sponsored Links