June 17, 2024, 02:05:57 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Relative solubility of phenol in ethanol and water  (Read 11200 times)

Offline AJBell

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Relative solubility of phenol in ethanol and water
« on: April 14, 2010, 08:57:51 AM »
I am a microbiologist so my chemistry is a little bit rsuty/poor, so please forgive me if this is an impossible ask.

I am trying to elucidate the mechanism of a staining reaction, but in order to do so I need to know about the solubility of phenol in water and ethanol (ethyl alcohol at 95%) and the relationship of the solubility to temperature.

I know that in water the solubility of phenol increases with temperature, but is the solubility of phenol in ethanol higher or lower than water, at room temperature and above? Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Andrew

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1804/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Relative solubility of phenol in ethanol and water
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 09:19:19 AM »
I have no other ideas but to visit library and consult handbooks or librarian. Probably librarian in the first case, they know things you wouldn't believe ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline AJBell

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Relative solubility of phenol in ethanol and water
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 04:26:15 AM »
The situation I have is actually a little different than I originally made out;

I have fuchsin (cationic dye) dissolved in phenol, which is itself in a lipid enviroment. The phenol has a higer affinity for the lipid than water unless the water is heated, at which point the phenol moves accross to water. When we use ethanol however, we don't see the same. My thinking is that the phenol (carbonic fuchsin to be precise) is more soluble in lipid and water than ethanol. Of course there is also the possibility of salts interferring.

I have already checked with the Merck Index, but that only gave the solubility of phenol in water (~8g/100ml) and not in ethanol (or even lipid).

Sponsored Links