April 28, 2024, 12:06:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Unknown Brown Stain  (Read 5025 times)

Offline BetaAmyloid

• Mole Snacks: +18/-38
Unknown Brown Stain
« on: April 14, 2010, 04:44:43 PM »
I have an unkown brown stain on my two hands and above my eyebrow. I believe that it is there because of handling chemicals in the lab today while we were doing an electrochemical voltaic cell lab.

The chemicals we used included zinc, lead, copper, iron, silver, and potassium. I just wanted to make sure that the chemical is not harmful. Also, the stain keeps itching, at first notice it had a burning sensation.

So, are the stains fine? :o
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought - Albert Szent-Györgyi

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: Unknown Brown Stain
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 04:58:04 PM »
silver nitrate solution was one of them I assume?

Offline BetaAmyloid

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 06:37:09 PM »
Yes, most of them were nitrates.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought - Albert Szent-Györgyi

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 07:10:40 PM »
The stains should be fine.  If I had to guess, it's deposited silver from the silver nitrate.  If you spill silver nitrate solution on your skin, you need to immediately rinse the area with sodium thiosulfate to avoid staining.  The stains should be around for about 2 weeks.

Offline BetaAmyloid

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 07:51:40 PM »
Alright, well thanks! I was just wondering, because they didn't appear immediately...it was probably 15 to 20 minutes (well...at least until I noticed) that the stains were there. What would happen if this got in someone's eye (just wondering because its on top of my eyebrow)?

Thanks again ;)

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 08:07:15 PM »
If what got in your eye? silver or silver nitrate soln?

Offline BetaAmyloid

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 08:43:44 PM »
Well, just to know, how about both!

Offline skyjumper

• 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-4
  • Lab Aid
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 08:44:10 PM »
Silver nitrate is an oxidizer, and thats never too good for flesh. And a "silver" solution would be chunks of silver (or melted silver, in which case there is more pertinent issues than eye contact).

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 02:56:31 AM »
Note that silver nitrate was used to cure warts. When I was a kid it was sold in drugstores in the form of rods to "paint" warts. We were stained quite often.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 01:41:41 PM »
It was also commonplace not so long ago to use silver nitrate as a 'few week' tattoo.

The first layer of skin is dead anyway, silver reduction occurs quickly.  I never really attributed any negative consequence other than aesthetics...

Offline Sep

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 09:47:33 AM »
The stains should be fine.  If I had to guess, it's deposited silver from the silver nitrate.  If you spill silver nitrate solution on your skin, you need to immediately rinse the area with sodium thiosulfate to avoid staining.  The stains should be around for about 2 weeks.

do they pose a health hazard? I wouldn't mind blinging with silver in my skin.  :P

Sponsored Links