April 25, 2024, 11:59:22 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ferric hydroxamate test for esters?  (Read 17451 times)

rchok2

Ferric hydroxamate test for esters?
« on: July 28, 2005, 12:44:03 AM »
there's some things that i can't seem to understand here, so i need all of your help^^...
here's the method:
THE FERRIC HYDROXAMATE TEST FOR ESTERS
The hydroxamic acid products form colored complexes with FeCl3 giving a sensitive test for esters
N-methyl-hydroxylamine is obtained by the addition of alkaline to a solution of N-methyl-hydroxylamine hydrochloride.
Take 4 drops of the ester, 3 drops of saturated solution of N-methyl-hydroxylamine hydrochloride in ethanol and 3 drops of 20% potassium hydroxide solution in methanol. Boil in the steam bath for 2minutes then cool. Add 2cm3 of dilute HCl and 1 drop FeCl3. Test both esters and a control in which the ester is omitted. A purple color forms if an ester os present. #

ok here's what i don't really get... why do we have to add alkaline to N-methyl-hydroxylamine to obtain methyl-hydroxylamine hydrochloride? what's the purpose of the of it>_<? N why does methyl-hydroxylamine hydrochloride have to be in ethanol? why is potassium hydroxide solution in ethanol? why is it added? what is the purpose of the steam bath? and why must it cool when u have to boil it? lastly why is the 2cm3 dilute HCl added before adding FeCl3..

so much 4 d questions... sorry for the trouble but thank you very much 4 d effort to answer^^

Sponsored Links