March 29, 2024, 03:31:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dehydration  (Read 3569 times)

Offline OrgoDownfall

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Dehydration
« on: April 19, 2010, 08:49:47 PM »
What reactant is dehydrated to make methylenecyclohexane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylenecyclohexane) and water? Methylenecyclohexane is the only product. The reaction has a proton to act as an electrophile.

I'm ok with hydrations of organic compunds, but I don't how to work backwards...

Any tips or help? Thanks a lot.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: Dehydration
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:54:57 PM »
It's an alcohol.

Offline OrgoDownfall

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 09:02:09 PM »
Would it be a diol?

Offline zanethan

• Very New Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 12:56:41 AM »
I think it would be a terminal alcohol.  Via an E2 mechanism the OH will turn into H2O and leave forming a double bond.

Offline OrgoDownfall

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 09:19:17 PM »
Can you treat working with dehydrations, the same as working backwards on hydrations?

So, I am getting 1-methyl-1-cyclohexanol if that's the case, but this is the major product. There can also be a minor product which would make this wrong.  :-[

I don't know how to go about this, and thanks zanethan, but I haven't learned E2 mechanisms... Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-12
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 10:26:43 AM »
Are you certain you haven't learned E2 eliminations?  It doesn't seem like you could answer this question without knowing eliminations.

Yes, you can look at dehydrations as backwards hydrations.  That might help you answer this question.  Starting with the given alkene, add H3O+ and see what products are possible.  That should point you in the right direction.

nj_bartel and zanethan are right, you just need to put the pieces together.  No, it's not a diol.

Sponsored Links