April 18, 2024, 11:10:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How would I deternime which of these is the strongest base?  (Read 19847 times)

Offline Eliseo

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How would I deternime which of these is the strongest base?
« on: April 22, 2010, 12:50:56 AM »
A) CH3ONa
B) CH3MgBr
C) CH3Li
D) NaNH2

I think B would definitly be out since the Mg means its a strong base, right? Not so sure about the others. This is a test question too, so I wouldnt be able to just look up the pKas or anything

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Re: How would I deternime which of these is the strongest base?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 04:49:24 AM »
Conjugate base of strong acid is a weak base, and that of a weak acid is a strong base. Hope this helps.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline NahiEw

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 06:19:03 AM »
To be honest, this is a very tricky question if you weren't given the pKa values.

But if I had seen this problem on an exam, I would definitely eliminate CH3ONa and NaNH2 first because I know that CH3OH and NH3 are definitely less acidic than CH4, their corresponding conjugate acids. Now let's look at CH3MgBr and CH3Li; this time they have the same conjugate acids, CH4. To decide which one is more acidic, you would have to compare the negative charge on each of the CH3-. You can't decide this unless you look at the positive character of their counterparts: MgBr and Li. Which metal has a higher positive charge? If you were given a periodic table with electronegativity values, you would know that Li is more electropositive than Mg, but you can't decide yet because although Mg is more electronegative, it is next to an electronegative Br which polarizes the Mg making it more electropositive. But even with this information, if you didn't know that the polarization of Br on Mg is greater than the electropositivity of the metals you would probably still be stuck.

Just my opinion on this problem, maybe someone has a better explanation.

Offline Eliseo

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 07:45:48 PM »
Thing is, CH3OH is the answer. And I guess I'd be looking for the weaker acid, because that would mean the stronger base.

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-12
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 10:27:21 PM »
That doesn't sound right at all.  Unless there was a typo and it was supposed to ask for the weakest base instead of the strongest.

Offline Eliseo

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 10:55:02 PM »
You're right, ment to say weakest in the topic title :-\

How would I go about figuring the weakest then?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 11:07:56 PM by Eliseo »

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-12
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 11:36:13 PM »
By the same method, it's still valid.  A weak base will make a strong conjugate acid and vice versa.  Find the strongest conjugate acid.

Sponsored Links