April 29, 2024, 01:34:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: how to determine exchange capacity, selectivity coeff, distribution coeff  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Danni

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
A column contains 0.5g of a strong acid ion-exchange resin in the H+ form. A 1.0M NaCl solution is passed through the column until the eluent shows a neutral reaction. The total eluent is titrated with 17.5mL 0.05M NaOH. A 100mL portion of a 1 x 10-3 M NaCl soln is equilibrated with 0.15g of the same resin and the sodium conc in the supernantent solution is found to be 2.20 x 10-4 M by flame spectroscopy. Calculate
-exchange capacity of resin
-selectivity coeff KNaH of resin
-distribution coeff of sodium (the conc is expressed in meq/g for the resin and in meq/mL for the solution)

So i know the theory behind these; the exchange capacity is the no. of millequivalents of H+/OH- per unit weight of dry resin which can be absorbed by ion exchange, the selectivity coeff is the equil const of the ion-exchange reaction and the distribution coeff describes the distrib of an ion between the resin and solution. However I cant find the method for calculating them. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am pretty sure this is going to come up in my exam. Thanks :)

Sponsored Links