April 29, 2024, 06:49:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acid/Base Question - pH Change  (Read 4581 times)

Offline reyaz01

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Acid/Base Question - pH Change
« on: April 27, 2010, 04:52:58 AM »
Hey guys, I am really hitting my head to figure out this question, can anyone help me?

Calculate the pH change if to 100cm3 of a buffer solution made of 0.5 moles of ethanoic acid and 0.5 moles of Ch3CooNa is added 10cm3 of 0.1 M NaOH.

They gave us moles, not concentration, how do you calculate the concentrations of the ethanoic acid and the ethanoate to substitute into the Henderson Hasselbach? Do I just divide each by 0.1 L ? Or what? Thanks!!

And one more thing, is the concentration of the ethanoate (CH3COO-) ion the sum of the ethanoate ions produced by both the ethanoic acid as well as the sodium ethanoate?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Acid/Base Question - pH Change
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 06:08:35 AM »
They gave us moles, not concentration, how do you calculate the concentrations of the ethanoic acid and the ethanoate to substitute into the Henderson Hasselbach? Do I just divide each by 0.1 L ? Or what?

They haven't told you what concentration is? Not even a definition? And they have not taught you how to calculate concentration given number of moles and volume? Sue them. Sue the school system, sue the state, sue the bus driver, and sue the girl's parents.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline reyaz01

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 01:38:07 PM »
That doesn't exactly help me.  ???

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 02:00:57 PM »
What is concentration definition?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline reyaz01

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 02:54:32 PM »
I know where your going with this, but the solution my lecturer gave me had the following statement, which confuses me:
Since the ethanoate and the ethanoic acid are in the same volumes, their molar quantities can be taken to represent their respective concentrations.

He then used the 0.5 moles as if they were concentration and substituted them into the Henderson Hasselbach.

Also another important question, what is the concentration of teh ethanoate ion and why? (is it just the concentration of the sodium ethanoate or the sum of the ethanoate from sodium ethanoate and the ethanoate ion formed from the dissociation of the acetic acid?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 03:12:41 PM »
I know where your going with this, but the solution my lecturer gave me had the following statement, which confuses me:
Since the ethanoate and the ethanoic acid are in the same volumes, their molar quantities can be taken to represent their respective concentrations.

He then used the 0.5 moles as if they were concentration and substituted them into the Henderson Hasselbach.

Ca = na / V
Cb = nb / V

Ca/Cb = na / V : nb / V = na/nb

Volume cancels out.

Also another important question, what is the concentration of teh ethanoate ion and why? (is it just the concentration of the sodium ethanoate or the sum of the ethanoate from sodium ethanoate and the ethanoate ion formed from the dissociation of the acetic acid?

It should be sum of acetate from both sources, but in the presence of ethanoate dissociation can be safely neglected.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 05:23:14 PM by Borek »

Offline reyaz01

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 04:42:14 PM »
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! ORRR i get it now... because there is the ethanoate there is a large amount of CH3COO- ions and according to lechatelier's principle, the equilibrium will lie far to the right and there fore there will be large amount of undisociated CH3COOH but just enough H+ to make the system acidic, hence acidic buffer system!! OMG i love you!

Sponsored Links