April 28, 2024, 05:16:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Paladium Chemistry  (Read 9966 times)

Offline OC pro

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +36/-15
Re: Paladium Chemistry
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 11:56:11 AM »
This reaction is difficult to predict. Again, truth lies in the experiment. Even if there is literature precedence in one direction, always the experiment is good for control. You have done it, OK. I would at least mention it in one or two sentences.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 01:53:09 AM »
I would not have tried that reaction as I expected the bromine to be lost. I don't have access to any databases, so I cannot search to find whether any precedent exists for it remaining.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline johnnyd

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 04:44:07 AM »
Ok well this is exactly what I want! If a few more experienced chemists can throw in their "on paper" prediction then that'll make my decision for me.
I'll trawl the literature looking for a precendent but I've done other reactions successfully that there is no precedent for so thats not as important to me.

Offline OC pro

• Chemist
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 06:52:46 AM »
Only relying on what is given in the literature is in my eyes a bit naive. There is so much "scientific fraud" out there. Believe me, I have run more than 2000 reactions so far. If you have enough material for a test reaction I would always give it a chance.

Dehydrohalogenation via (heterogenic) Palladium catalysis is well known to the experienced chemist - "state of the art". No papers have to be cited for that.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 12:56:42 PM »
Dehydrohalogenation via (heterogenic) Palladium catalysis is well known to the experienced chemist - "state of the art". No papers have to be cited for that.

I agree with this. I was not clear in my past post. I should have stated that I was unaware of any catalytic reductions of vinyl bromides to bromoalkanes as precedence for your reaction.

Let me try to explain my thinking again. If you reacted acetic acid with phosgene and got acetyl chloride, I would not put that reaction as a failed attempt to make pyruvyl chloride. No one would expect pyruvyl chloride as the product. If you put it in, you would expose a line of thinking that needs explanation or reveals a lack of knowledge. If there was literature to suggest that pyruvyl chloride should be expected, then I might think differently (but probably not with this example).

Nothing has made me think you should obtain a bromoalkane as the product. Will anyone reading your thesis think that should have been the product? In what way is this a contribution to science? If no contribution is being made, why are you reporting it?
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline OC pro

• Chemist
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 02:57:57 PM »
I fully agree with orgopete: "If no contribution is being made, why are you reporting it? "

Sponsored Links