April 26, 2024, 01:59:27 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Soy wax ductility  (Read 3342 times)

Offline morloc82

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Soy wax ductility
« on: April 27, 2010, 07:47:40 AM »
Hello. I just stumbled upon this forum and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. Anyway, I'm trying to create a mixture of microcrystalline wax with soy wax to be used in the production of the wick of safety matches. The reason for this is that the supply for microcrystalline wax varies quite a lot. In addition soy wax is biodegradable and cheaper than microcrystalline wax. I tried using several ratios of soy wax to microcrystalline wax ranging from 10%-90% (by weight) but I always get a much more brittle wax which doesn't stick quite well to the wick compared to 100% microcrystalline wax. I've also tried using palm wax mixed with the microcrystalline wax but I get more or less the same results. The mixture which is currently being used is made from about 30% fully refined white paraffin wax and 70% microcrystalline which is acceptably ductile and “sticky”.
Does anybody know if there is a natural wax such as soy wax or a method to alter the mixture so that I get the same ductility as with microcrystalline+paraffin? Even a mixture with only 10% biodegradable wax would give a significant benefit. Thanks.

Sponsored Links