March 28, 2024, 01:06:54 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why do some wheat silos explode?  (Read 30683 times)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: Why do some wheat silos explode?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2005, 09:55:57 PM »
Don't they add a preservative to those sugar packets at restuarants that is flammable? I think I heard once of someone trying to make an explosive with alotta sugar packets and some Iodine or something like that.

Anyways if they do add a preservative that is flammable that may be burning quicker or more violently than the sugar itself.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Oldtimer

Like a dissacant or something?
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2005, 11:39:28 PM »
I don't know, we never added any to the sacks or bags when we bagged them. But moisture can be a problem with them I suppose in some places.

Sugar doesn't really burn very well unless it's like falling or floating in the air. then it burns voraciously. The bins are tightly controlled in respect to humidity and temperature. Much more than a grain bin. If grain gets dampened in one it will set up because the grain swells.

Then a person can't get it back out without some seriously dangerous labor. The stuff can't get too dry though either, then it will crack {shatter} and isn't sellable product once damaged.

What could you add to sugar in those little packets that wouldn't interfere with mixing it with your coffee or tea?

Andy

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2005, 07:25:12 PM »
Next time you go to a restuarant with those sugar packets look at the ingredients. I'll do the same. I've only just heard about this so I really have no sources. I'll check if I remeber.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 07:26:08 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Oldtimer

It says Beet Sugar.
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2005, 10:52:29 AM »
That's all it says. Another place had a different package which said - Ingredients: Cane Sugar.

Andy

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2005, 06:17:59 PM »
Why would they have to add a preservative to sugar in the first place? I have not heard of this before.

I know of an experiment where you can try and burn a sugar cube in a flame, the sugar will melt but not burn. Now take another sugar cube and rub "ash" or charcoal etc on it and it will ignite in the flame.

I think if the sugar is finely powdered it would ignite as most dusts do.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Sponsored Links