April 28, 2024, 01:23:10 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Let's make this knoweldge free  (Read 7996 times)

Offline daveyboy

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Let's make this knoweldge free
« on: April 29, 2010, 09:39:18 PM »
It might seem lazy to ask this, but it isn't selfish I want to give back, big time.

Hi guys,

My level of chemistry is very poor. I was a natural at school but not interested and unused it all got forgot. Anyway. I would like to give myself the same level of education in chemistry I would get by going to a uni and getting say a graduate degree. It's not just selfish though, as I am starting as such an empty slate, I'd like to make this available to the world, so anyone can be a chemist :)

I need some help though. What are the books I should read in order? What equipment will I need that the books won't mention. Assume I know nothing of chemistry. Let's start from zero. Then let's make something beautiful :)

The point I'm missing out is I want to pass the knowledge on. In a format that can take someone who is a cluebie like me now through to being a clue.

If you wanna offer your help I'm greatful for it. It's probably going to be quite a long side project :)

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Re: Let's make this knoweldge free
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 03:04:55 AM »
If you're really interested in learning chemistry, then you've come to the right place to meet the right people. We will be more than happy to help you out. (I hope everyone else here is willing to extend help)

My advice to you would be to make sure you are thorough with what was taught at high school. Basics are very important. That's where the difference lies. People who are disillusioned by chemistry are the ones who never liked it from the start, because it's impossible to not love chemistry once you're in it.

After having mastered that, you should try out the books (recommended by members) in the high school chemistry forum here. A bit advanced stuff should make sure you know you're high school chemistry, and a little beyond.

Once you're through with this, let us know. We will tell you what to do next.

I don't know if I'm the right person to help you out, but I'd be glad to help you out anyway.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 03:17:46 AM »
There are books listed in both High School and Undergraduate chemistry threads. There are books that you can download for free from the web. That should be your starting point.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline skyjumper

• 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-4
  • Lab Aid
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 08:08:19 AM »
My advice would be to test what you learn, Most parts of the high school curriculum have labs to go with them, do the labs. Most of the materials can be gotten off the Internet for a relatively low cost.

Offline daveyboy

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 08:45:15 PM »
Thanks guys that's good start information.

Offline daveyboy

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 09:02:28 PM »
There are books listed in both High School and Undergraduate chemistry threads. There are books that you can download for free from the web. That should be your starting point.

I'm skeptical of eBooks on the net as I have a phobia they are more likely to contain incorrect information which will get me killed at a later date.

Currently leaning to starting with these books. Good or bad choice?

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-Organic-Chemistry/dp/1592577539/ref=pd_sim_b_4
http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-Dummies-Arthur-Winter/dp/0764569023/ref=pd_cp_b_1
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0486656225/thechemicalfo-20/104-3671508-3002355?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&link_code=xm2

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 03:03:25 AM »
I'm skeptical of eBooks on the net as I have a phobia they are more likely to contain incorrect information which will get me killed at a later date.

You don't have to worry about that... ebooks and in general internet resources, apart from being completely reliable (I use them in addition to standard books and I haven't found any discrepancies yet), are sometimes even better than books as they can be easily updated and they are checked and double-checked by a large amount of users.
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline daveyboy

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 07:21:32 AM »
What would be a good list of eBooks to decipher instead then of those paper based dinosours :)

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 02:48:27 PM »
Check out those listed in the respective forums here
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline daveyboy

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 07:21:36 PM »
Check out those listed in the respective forums here

I know I'm being slow, but where are the eBooks? All I'm finding is links to amazon and similar...

Offline skyjumper

• 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-4
  • Lab Aid
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 01:41:23 AM »
http://library.sciencemadness.org/library/index.html
Most of it is pretty "up there" stuff, but some may prove useful. Google Books may be another option (only search for open copyright books, they *should* be available online to read)
http://books.google.com/books?q=general%20chemistry&oq=General%20Che&as_brr=1

http://books.google.com/books?id=3kYAAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=High+School+Chemistry&as_brr=1&ei=TxDdS_vdOo3ezASVn8niCQ&cd=1#v=onepage&q&f=false
"A Practical Chemistry for High School Students"

Sponsored Links