March 29, 2024, 10:15:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is CO2 toxic ?  (Read 19037 times)

Offline tortoise

• Mole Snacks: +4/-10
  • I'm a tortoise!
Is CO2 toxic ?
« on: July 23, 2005, 08:41:12 AM »
Is CO2 toxic and harmful to our health?

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
Re:Is CO2 toxic ?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 09:20:49 AM »
only in concentrations of 5% by volume and above. inhaled air typically consists of less than 1% CO2.
one learns best by teaching

Offline tortoise

• I'm a tortoise!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 05:00:27 AM »
Can a big amount of CO2 in the atmosphere kill hundreds of people (about 500) ?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 06:32:00 AM »
I sniffed dry ice once, bad mistake. It was painful. :(
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 03:39:49 PM »
No.  Any gas can suffocate if it depresses the oxygen content below 16 %, even nitrogen or argon (non-reactive).  If you want to drop 500 people with CO2, you better put them in a real small poorly ventilated room or use another gas.  

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 08:59:43 PM »
you better put them in a real small poorly ventilated room or use another gas.  

CO will be more effective. LOL. CO Poisoning - the leading cause of death in Australia.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 11:34:33 AM »
Arrrrghhhhhhhhh.  I wish I could remember the name of the country, but in my general chemistry textbook they mentioned a village where nearly the entire population died as a result of a CO2 expulsion from a nearby lake or volcano.  The CO2 settled into the valley and killed nearly everyone in the village.  Now I'll have to look it up to see where it was.   :D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 11:58:05 AM »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 12:05:39 PM »
I remember an article about that.  I think it was in "Smithsonian" or "Natural History" and it was a lake in Africa (one of those countries where finding hundreds of dead bodies is typical-like Congo or Liberia).  The article was written within the last 3 years.  Evidently, CO2 built up in the lake and then released violently (like a Coke bottle top being released).  The mode of death of the villagers was still representative of a suffocating gas (not a poison).

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 01:48:48 PM »
Yeah, I remember hearing about that in a lecture too.  It was something like there was a lot of CO2 in the lowest layers of water in the lake and it was fine until it rained.  Since the rain water was colder than the water near the surface, it caused some of the layers to exchange and as the colder water from near the bottom rose it released a lot of the carbon dioxide all at once.

Offline tortoise

• I'm a tortoise!
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 04:39:48 AM »
I posted this question because I had just read a short story of Pierre Bellemare "Le train fantôme (The Ghost Train) which is translated into Vietnamese.

The story says that 521 persons were killed on the train with a strange reason. And here is the conclude of the investigation committee about the accident: There is a high slope in the tunnel... 2 enginees could not pull the train up, so the train stopped right there. Graphite was burn with a big amount... The quality of graphite was very bad. When burned, it produced a large amount of CO2. This toxic gas quickly spread across the tunnel. Passengers and train crew smelled the toxis gas and died.

In late night of 3 and early morning of 4, March 1994, there are totally 521 victims diesd in the accident. Only 4 were alive because they sitted on the last passenger-car. However, they all were infected with the toxic gas. Their hairs became grey. CO2 affected their brains, which could not be cured.

Maybe this storo tells a real event... I want to ask, does CO2 have that ability?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 05:05:42 AM »
The story says that 521 persons were killed on the train with a strange reason. And here is the conclude of the investigation committee about the accident: There is a high slope in the tunnel... 2 enginees could not pull the train up, so the train stopped right there. Graphite was burn with a big amount... The quality of graphite was very bad. When burned, it produced a large amount of CO2. This toxic gas quickly spread across the tunnel. Passengers and train crew smelled the toxis gas and died.

Maybe this storo tells a real event... I want to ask, does CO2 have that ability?

I am assuming that by 'graphite' you mean 'coal'.

Burning coal always produces CO2, regardless of its quality. Low quality coal often contains a lot of sulfur, and the fume has high amount of SO2.

So the real question for me is: is it possible to kill 521 people in a tunnel burning low quality coal? And the answer is obvious - yes. No problem.

1. Even if the coal is pretty good without ventilation amount of CO2 produced can suffocate everyone (not to mention partial combustion and CO problem in such a situation, but let's put it aside).

2. SO2 is much more dangerous and it will probably kill these people much faster then CO2 buildup.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 11:58:11 AM »
I would guess that in such a case the prime culprit would be CO.  As Borek said, low quality coal won't produce more CO2 than good quality coal (I would expect much the opposite actually).  There are plenty more nasty components of coal smoke than CO2!

Offline tortoise

• I'm a tortoise!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 04:05:35 AM »
oh year, it is CO.. I though it was CO2 !

Benzene265

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2005, 03:38:52 AM »
Also, CO2 isn't mind-altering, but oxygen deprivation can be.  Even if the coal burned cleanly, the O2 in the train would have been pushed out  by the CO2 and water vapor made in the combustion reaction.  Also, the burning of the coal itself would have used up much of the free oxygen in the tunnel.  Without breathable air, the passengers would suffocate.  Those who survived could have suffered brain damage from the reduced amount of oxygen in the air.  Incomplete combustion would have been worse since the CO would make the passengers incapbable of absorbing what little oxygen there was.

Sponsored Links