April 26, 2024, 10:52:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Designing and development of GC FID  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Pradeep

• Mole Snacks: +5/-3
Designing and development of GC FID
« on: May 13, 2010, 09:51:23 AM »
Dear sir/madam, I am a postgraduate Analytical Chemist. Im going to start a new research project for my M.Sc. I had to give up my previous project and now i am going to start a new research. That is to develop a "GD FID" for a protable GC. If there is any experienced resercher about instrumentation  please be kind enough to help me giving your sugestions. Your tecnical ideas are welcome. Thank you.

Offline Golden_4_Life

• Mole Snacks: +3/-4
Re: Designing and development of GC FID
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:38:40 AM »
A portable flame ionization detector for a gas chrom? So, you need to make a portable gas chromatograph because the FID is attached to it via the column, oven, injector.

For starters, this research project would presume that the entire GC is a Portable unit.  Therefore you need to think in "Micro-Scale" dimensions---make everything smaller than normal.
This means you will have to have portable Helium tank/source, Hydrogen tank, and compressed Air tank. THey can be made of small ballast tanks.
The GC oven needs to be reduced also in size.
The column needs to be shorter in length also (and perhaps thinner film thickness).
If you can draw up in micro-scale the elements of a GC then I don't see why this cannot be done.
In a previous lab I used to do real-time PCR testing.  The PCR analyzer is the size of table top unit--and we were investigating a micro-scale version of it that could be put on back packs of Army fighters who could be potentially exposed to pathogens.  We had begun plans to micro-scale engineer the PCR to fit into a backpack.

So, it can be done.
GOOD LUCK
Golden4Life

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
Re: Designing and development of GC FID
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 01:25:53 PM »
There are many companies who already manufacture and market such instruments. You could check them out and look at opportunities to effect improvements.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Sponsored Links