April 19, 2024, 01:26:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Which elements in the periodic table requires writing the number of valence elec  (Read 4925 times)

Offline ryanawe123

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
First, i need to show you what i mean  :rarrow: ex. Zinc(II), Copper(I), Iron(III), etc...

i thought all the transition metals have to have the bracket but my teacher says only elements that can have different numbers of valence electrons have to put bracket. I know what she means, but which elements need it? I once put Silver(I) but i was marked wrong >:(, as silver has only one type.

So, please tell me every single element that need to show the brackets. ;D

Offline Wald_ron

• Mole Snacks: +10/-2
You need to use brackets for ionic compounds.

Note that some metals have more than one common charge and we use a Roman Numeral to designate which ion is present in the compound such as iron(III)...read as iron 3. If a metal only has one common charge, the Roman Numeral is not used.

The most common oxidation state of silver is +1 (for example, silver nitrate: AgNO3); in addition, +2 compounds (for example, silver(II) fluoride: AgF2) and the less common +3 compounds (for example, potassium tetrafluoroargentate: K[AgF4] ) are known

a list of elements with more than one common ion.
Fe2+    iron(II) ion    ferrous ion
Fe3+    iron(III) ion    ferric ion
Cu+    copper(I) ion    cuprous ion
Cu2+    copper(II) ion    cupric ion
Hg22+    mercury(I) ion    mercurous ion
Hg2+    mercury(II) ion    mercuric ion
Pb2+    lead(II) ion    plumbous ion
Pb4+    lead(IV) ion    plumbic ion
Sn2+    tin(II) ion    stannous ion
Sn4+    tin(IV) ion    stannic ion
I've never seen a mole in a bag of animal crackers , but I've heard they're tasty. Can I have one please :)

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
You need to use brackets for ionic compounds.

What about carbon(II) oxide or carbon(IV) oxide ?
AWK

Offline ryanawe123

a list of elements with more than one common ion.
Fe2+    iron(II) ion    ferrous ion
Fe3+    iron(III) ion    ferric ion
Cu+    copper(I) ion    cuprous ion
Cu2+    copper(II) ion    cupric ion
Hg22+    mercury(I) ion    mercurous ion
Hg2+    mercury(II) ion    mercuric ion
Pb2+    lead(II) ion    plumbous ion
Pb4+    lead(IV) ion    plumbic ion
Sn2+    tin(II) ion    stannous ion
Sn4+    tin(IV) ion    stannic ion

Is this all??? what about zinc and carbon? Are there more? I need to know all of them thanks!

Offline Wald_ron

Other ones:
Chromium (2+ and 3+)
Cobalt (2+ and 3+)
Manganese (2+ and 3+)
Gold (1+ and 3+)

SOME ATOMS WITH ONLY ONE COMMON VALENCE:

* ALL GROUP 1 ELEMENTS ARE +1
    * ALL GROUP 2 ELEMENTS ARE +2
    * ALL GROUP 7 (HALOGEN) ELEMENTS ARE -1 WHEN IONIC
    * Oxygen and sulfur (GROUP 6) are -2 when ionic
    * Hydrogen is usually +1
    * Al3+, Zn2+, and Ag+

While there are some compounds that carbon forms that are considered inorganic, none of them are ionic.

However, there are some carbon forms that have similarities to ionic compounds even though the bonds are covalent including carbon monoxide (carbon(II)oxide)  and carbon dioxide (carbon(IV)oxide) however the ionic names aren't as common as carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide

The oxidation state of carbon in carbon monoxide is +2 in each of these structures. It is calculated by counting all the bonding electrons as belonging to oxygen, which is more electronegative than carbon. Only the two non-bonding electrons on carbon are assigned to carbon. In this count carbon then has only two valence electrons in the molecule compared to four in the free atom, so that its oxidation state is +2, and the molecule may be called carbon (II) oxide.
I've never seen a mole in a bag of animal crackers , but I've heard they're tasty. Can I have one please :)

Offline ryanawe123

Other ones:
Chromium (2+ and 3+)
Cobalt (2+ and 3+)
Manganese (2+ and 3+)
Gold (1+ and 3+)

SOME ATOMS WITH ONLY ONE COMMON VALENCE:

* ALL GROUP 1 ELEMENTS ARE +1
    * ALL GROUP 2 ELEMENTS ARE +2
    * ALL GROUP 7 (HALOGEN) ELEMENTS ARE -1 WHEN IONIC
    * Oxygen and sulfur (GROUP 6) are -2 when ionic
    * Hydrogen is usually +1
    * Al3+, Zn2+, and Ag+

While there are some compounds that carbon forms that are considered inorganic, none of them are ionic.

However, there are some carbon forms that have similarities to ionic compounds even though the bonds are covalent including carbon monoxide (carbon(II)oxide)  and carbon dioxide (carbon(IV)oxide) however the ionic names aren't as common as carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide

The oxidation state of carbon in carbon monoxide is +2 in each of these structures. It is calculated by counting all the bonding electrons as belonging to oxygen, which is more electronegative than carbon. Only the two non-bonding electrons on carbon are assigned to carbon. In this count carbon then has only two valence electrons in the molecule compared to four in the free atom, so that its oxidation state is +2, and the molecule may be called carbon (II) oxide.

Hey, erm one last question, does zinc require writing -------> Zinc(II), or just Zinc?

does elements with one common ion need to write braket?
faster reply fast. i just posted i need to get the answer in 30 mins. ty coz tomorrow have exam

Offline Wald_ron

gl on your exam  :-\
If a metal only has one common charge, the Roman Numeral is not used.

Sponsored Links