April 28, 2024, 01:51:07 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I'm not lazy..lol I just need help.  (Read 5827 times)

Offline ashalee

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I'm not lazy..lol I just need help.
« on: May 18, 2010, 10:10:47 AM »
Hello everyone :) I'm a single mother of one returning to graduate from highschool. My diploma is riding on a single organic chem assignment, quite literally. It has 4 questions, on mostly naming and converting to different structural formulas etc. If ANYONE could please help me with this I would appreciate it so much. I only have a few days to get this assignment complete before the end of the term. I would also like to say that this is not due to me neglecting homework, it is that i do not have a teacher for this course. I am given a module (booklet with some information) and a book. My supervisor informed me that my grade was lacking and gave me an extra assignment to complete within a small amount of time. I have attempted these few questions many times. One asks me to name a member of the following families which contains 125 carbon atoms: Alkanes, Alkenes, and Alkynes. The list they give me for naming only goes up to 10 carbon atoms. I wondered if I could find the name for 100, and then add the name of 25? It's very confusing. Also there is another which wants me to name organic compounds which have elements branching off them. Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist me on this.
Ashalee.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:32:00 AM by ashalee »

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
AWK

Offline ashalee

Re: I'm not lazy..lol I just need help.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 10:55:01 AM »
CH3CH≡CHCH2CH3
|          |   |
Br        Cl   I

So here I am assuming the reason why there is only one hydrogen attached to both carbons on each side of the bond is because they are triple bonded. Hoever, how is it so that the carbon after the triple bond is infact triple bonded to the other carbon, that is is able to also bond to the chlorine, the hydrogen and another carbon??

I figure since the Bromine is closest to the end of the chain that I would start on that end. So I'm thinking it will be 1-Bromo-3 chloro-4 iodipropyl? ..

Offline ashalee

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 11:11:31 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alkanes

So according to this, if pentacosane has 25 carbon atoms, and hectane is 100, i can just combine them to be pentacosahectane?

How would I right the chemical formula for this? just draw a structural diagram or assume there are 3 hydrogens for every carbon would likely be easier. C125H252 and for an alkene C125H250, alkyne C125H248, cycloalkane C125H250?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 11:21:57 AM by ashalee »

Offline ashalee

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 11:43:02 AM »
okay ive found some info and this is getting much clearer. If i name an alkene with a double bond say...pent-2-ene, if there was a triple bond, it would be an alkyne correct? and therefore I could name it pent-2-yl? However the video i watched says to name it this way but in my module it says to name it 2-pentyl?

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-12
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 01:19:49 PM »
It would be pent-2-yne.

Another note, the structure you drew in your previous post needs to be corrected.  The carbons in the triple bond cannot be bonded to H or Cl because they are both already bonded to other carbons, which fills the valence.  Otherwise they have 5 bonds, which is forbidden.

Offline ashalee

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 01:33:30 PM »
It would be pent-2-yne.

Another note, the structure you drew in your previous post needs to be corrected.  The carbons in the triple bond cannot be bonded to H or Cl because they are both already bonded to other carbons, which fills the valence.  Otherwise they have 5 bonds, which is forbidden.

This is exactly my problem, I tried to draw it out structurally, as I copied it exactly as it is from the assignment, and I had so much trouble because it wasn't making any sense as to how in the heck it was bonding with these other elements. So what you are confirming is that I am indeed not crazy but the question is wrong?

Offline Biopolmonkey

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 01:58:50 PM »
If you drew out the structure exactly as it is in the question, then yes, it is wrong and not a problem with you.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 02:20:46 AM »
CH3CH≡CHCH2CH3
|          |   |
Br        Cl   I

So here I am assuming the reason why there is only one hydrogen attached to both carbons on each side of the bond is because they are triple bonded. Hoever, how is it so that the carbon after the triple bond is infact triple bonded to the other carbon, that is is able to also bond to the chlorine, the hydrogen and another carbon??

I figure since the Bromine is closest to the end of the chain that I would start on that end. So I'm thinking it will be 1-Bromo-3 chloro-4 iodipropyl? ..
These carbon atoms are pentavalent or even hexavalent.
AWK

Sponsored Links