April 25, 2024, 12:32:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cell Potential  (Read 4363 times)

Offline guybrush

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Cell Potential
« on: May 09, 2010, 05:34:01 PM »
Hi,

I have a question on cell potential that i just need pointing in the correct direction with.

Both the half equations that i have positive cell potential. However the first half equation is 0.10V, the other is 0.70V

Do i flip the equation with the lower cell potential (0.10)? So that this becomes -0.10? Or do i flip the more positive one? Or neither?

I have balanced both equations for both electrons and charge so i am on the final part of the question then its completed.

Thanks

Offline S.V.

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Cell Potential
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 01:10:22 AM »
Are you using the equation Ecell=Ereduction(cathode)-Ereductionanode? (All potentials are assuming standard conditions.) Assuming you are using this equation, you plug in the standard reduction potentials and do not change any signs. If your cathode has a standard reduction potential of .10 and your anode of .70, then your cell potential will be .10 - .70 = -.60. If your cathode is .70 and anode is .10 then you have .70 - .10 = .60.

In my general chemistry course, potentials were always given as reduction potentials. As far as I know, this is the standard method, but if you are instead given an oxidation potential you'll have to flip the sign.

Offline vickium

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
    • Personal Webpage
Re: Cell Potential
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 05:26:56 PM »
It depends. Were you given those potentials, or did you look them up in a table? If they were given, then just plug it into the equation, like @ShadowVegan said. But if you looked them up, one of them should be flipped, and it has nothing to do with the "more positive" one.

Usually, a table gives you only reduction potentials, or only oxidation potentials, but not both. So unless you have two oxidizing agents or two reducing agents, which is impossible, one of them has to be flipped. So if you have a table of standard reduction potentials, for example, the oxidizing agent is the number that remains unchanged, while the reducing agent gets flipped.

Sponsored Links