Chemistry Forums for Students > Organic Chemistry Forum

carrying grignard reaction in aqous medium

(1/1)

chemendure:
http://

Hello,
I am facing a major question here, I am wondering if anyone know if I can carry out the reaction of glutaraldehyde with grignard reagent (any) when I am in aqous medium. one end of glut is cross-linked the other end is free and I am trying to convert the free end to an alcohol group. is the reaction at room temp? and is it possible in water medium? how do I later remove the OH MgX?
thank you  

Mitch:
Grinards should never be done in water, they are notoriously moisture sensitive.

Can you put the structure of GUT on the forum, I'm unfamiliar with it.

Scratch-:
ChemFinder lists glutaraldehyde as C5H8O2

Mitch:

--- Quote from: chemendure on May 11, 2004, 06:07:01 PM --- one end of glut is cross-linked the other end is free and I am trying to convert the free end to an alcohol group.

--- End quote ---

What do you mean here?

GCT:

--- Quote ---Hello,
I am facing a major question here, I am wondering if anyone know if I can carry out the reaction of glutaraldehyde with grignard reagent (any) when I am in aqous medium. one end of glut is cross-linked the other end is free and I am trying to convert the free end to an alcohol group. is the reaction at room temp? and is it possible in water medium? how do I later remove the OH MgX?
--- End quote ---

Mg is reactive toward acidic agents and thus water should not be used.  Try lithium aliminum chloride followed by a refluxing with acid; you would need to use this even in a non-aqueous solution since the grinard reagent would react twice with the aldehyde.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version