April 28, 2024, 06:03:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: physical chemistry book  (Read 5756 times)

Offline h1234

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
physical chemistry book
« on: May 15, 2010, 06:23:56 PM »
Hello

I am a student at portsmouth university and studying pharmacy.

Can anybody tell me any simple and really understandable chemistry book please?
because i love chemistry but i found physical chemistry hard to understand anybody help please

kind regards

Offline OrganicSynthesis

Re: physical chemistry book
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 02:22:33 PM »
The way I learned physical chemistry was by going ot the basics first using a general chemistry book. Then, I spent days and days reading a physical chemistry book. Time consuming, but it worked in the end and I think it was worth it. The main thing is, just don't give up and don't let complicated looking derivations intimidate you. Be able to understand the text without the math, then go back to the math after you feel you understand the text.

EDIT: I used Physical Chemistry 6e by Ira Levine

gizmo_attacks

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 12:42:22 AM »
Hey there, I'm currently doing my b.s. in chemistry. I will be taking physical chem next semester and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to hang on to my old textbooks, like my general chem book, general physics book, and calculus book.  Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 03:24:42 AM »
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to hang on to my old textbooks, like my general chem book, general physics book, and calculus book.

In my experience that's a good idea - you know these books, so whenever you need to find some facts/explanations you will know where to look for them. Sure, if you never liked them and you think they don't explain things in an understandable way - look for some other ones.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline h1234

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 06:16:39 AM »
Thanks ALL of you
I wont give up Inshallah

gizmo_attacks

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 03:59:49 PM »
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to hang on to my old textbooks, like my general chem book, general physics book, and calculus book.

In my experience that's a good idea - you know these books, so whenever you need to find some facts/explanations you will know where to look for them. Sure, if you never liked them and you think they don't explain things in an understandable way - look for some other ones.

Thanks for the help.  Just one more question. In your experience did you have to look back at these books often?  I feel like I have a solid grasp on all these subjects however, some of my professors have told me that physical chem is the class in which most chem majors drop out. I know I'll forget some things with time so I think it'll be a good idea to hang on to them, but I also could use the money from selling them back, while their editions are still in use. 

Offline Telamond

• Mole Snacks: +6/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 04:17:45 PM »
I'm not sure what is really covered in your course, but I really appreciate Quanta, Matter and Change by Atkins, de Paula and Friedman. They really cover everything in my course and explains everything carefully.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 06:46:45 PM »
In your experience did you have to look back at these books often?

It is probably a personal thing - often enough to keep them till now.

And I bought mine back in early eighties.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links