March 29, 2024, 10:54:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: # of molecules in Ideal gas law equation  (Read 3710 times)

Offline jmv

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
# of molecules in Ideal gas law equation
« on: May 19, 2010, 01:47:08 PM »
Hi,

I finished doing a problem and would like to know at what conditions does the # of molecules change if pressure and Temperature are held constant.

Reference Problem
A 0.100 L container maintained at constant temperature contains 5.0E10 molecules of an ideal gas.  How many molecules remain if the volume is changed to 0.005 L ?  What volume is occupied by 10,000 molecules at the initial temperature and pressure?

My answer
Since T is constant and only volume changed, the # of molecules at  volume 0.005L is the same as that of the initial volume.  Nothing is said about pressure, so I assume it's constant.

n = # of molecules(M)/avogadro's #(A)
V(final)=[10,000 molecules/5.0E10 molecules]*[V(inital)]
V(final)=2.E-8 L

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: # of molecules in Ideal gas law equation
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 01:57:16 PM »
Actually... number of molecules in a closed system stays the same, no matter whether you change temperature, volume or pressure. It is called mass conservation.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 01:57:33 PM »
A 0.100 L container maintained at constant temperature contains 5.0E10 molecules of an ideal gas.  How many molecules remain if the volume is changed to 0.005 L ? 

My answer
Since T is constant and only volume changed, the # of molecules at  volume 0.005L is the same as that of the initial volume.  Nothing is said about pressure, so I assume it's constant.
PV=nRT.
If n,R,T are constant and V is changed, how can P remain unchanged?

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 01:58:40 PM »
Actually... number of molecules in a closed system stays the same, no matter whether you change temperature, volume or pressure. It is called mass conservation.
Well, the container is assumed to be closed. If not, the problem cannot be solved without assuming constant pressure, since no data on pressure change is available
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Sponsored Links