March 29, 2024, 03:06:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I apologize, but I'm new in syntheses.  (Read 5410 times)

Offline somethingtoxic

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
I apologize, but I'm new in syntheses.
« on: May 16, 2010, 08:37:58 AM »
A basic synthesis of magnesium to threonine.

Okay in an acidic solution, give magnesium, then it bond to make M-thr? Right????

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-12
Re: I apologize, but I'm new in syntheses.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 07:48:32 PM »
Your post doesn't make much sense.  Synthesis of magnesium to threonine, what does that mean?  Are you asking what will happen if you mix these two together?  I'm not sure if anything would happen if you mixed the two things together, although if you're thinking that it will make a Grignard type reagent it won't.

Maybe you can clarify?

Offline somethingtoxic

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 01:36:33 AM »
Yeah, obvious noob here, I don't deny it.

Bonding magnesium to L-threonine. Does it take perhaps a magnesium hydroxide approach?

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 10:23:58 AM »
Where do you want Magnesium to be bonded in Threonine? I mean to which atom do you want it attached?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline OrganicSynthesis

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 02:28:01 PM »
Could he possibly mean using a grignard reagent and other reactants to synthesize threonine?

Offline somethingtoxic

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 01:27:24 AM »
where would be the best place for the Mg atom to be attached, and what process could do that?

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 08:55:11 AM »
As I stated earlier, I don't think the Mg will bond to anything on threonine, you need a different functional group like a halide.  It's possible the amine will be attracted to it via Lewis acid/Lewis base interaction, but I don't get the impression that's what you're asking about.

Offline somethingtoxic

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 09:56:12 AM »
Hmm. so I'd have to bond a halogen just for a mag atom to later attach - using another syntheses?

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 10:15:20 AM »
It's still very unclear what you are trying to do and that complicates things.  What do you want to do with the magnesium?  Why did you choose threonine?  Are you trying to introduce magnesium in a porphyrin type system or are you thinking it will bond to something else in a molecule and you can introduce it that way?  Magnesium will not form a covalent bond with anything, period.  The closest you'll get is a Grignard reagent, which is a very reactive nucleophile and you can't isolate it or weigh it out onto a scale or anything.  At best you can make a molar solution that you can use later.

From your posts I gather that you haven't taken a formal organic chemistry course and are trying to teach yourself from reading.  While that's a great start, you need a much stronger foundation before you can really start digging into anything besides basic organic reactions.

Offline somethingtoxic

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 04:43:41 PM »
Well, your post helped more, and I apologize for being imprecise, but ideally the Mg should be attached to the threonines methyl group. So MgBr route?

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 08:29:50 AM »
Okay, now I have a bit better idea of what you're trying to synthesize.  My next question is, what do you want the magnesium to do?  As I said, you can make a Grignard reagent, but that's very reactive and won't survive another chemical step, it'll react with something.  Are you trying to introduce magnesium to a receptor or protein and use threonine as the delivery system?  Or is the magnesium just part of an intermediate that you will use for a future chemical step?

Sponsored Links