March 29, 2024, 03:35:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mastering Chemistry  (Read 17141 times)

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
Re: Mastering Chemistry
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 04:22:10 PM »
A thought...

You seem to be at the beginning of your education, as I gather from use of the phrase "when I take up my BS".  When I started university, I knew I wanted to do chemistry, but not what type.  I figured after 4 years I would take any chemical job out there, figuring, hey, chemistry is chemistry, it is all great.  I think I was thinking some sort of organic/drug design type field as I was under the impression that it was paid the best.  As  undergraduate courses went from general to specific, I found areas I enjoyed (anything synthetic, organic, inorganic, nano, whatever) and others I did not (quantum).  I think as you start doing more and more chemistry at higher levels, you will eventually find one area that you will consider a "calling", at this point it is hard to say what area you will end up enjoying most.  I found mine, and I enjoy my research on a level bordering on obsessive as a result.  

Offline zeoblade

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 09:15:48 PM »
Why not integrate all areas?

Chemistry is the integration component of the pure sciences. So you might as well integrate

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 01:00:48 PM »
For example I heard a few days ago a couple of interviews about Giulio Natta and his scientific legacy: one thing all his assistants pointed out was the fact that he had a deep and up-to-date knowledge in most branches, from physical chemistry to the industrial matters and this fact allowed him, as they said, to see things farther than the edge reached by research, foreseeing new reactions and applications for the compunds he worked with.
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Sponsored Links