April 25, 2024, 10:49:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Isolation of Platinum from compounds  (Read 7942 times)

Offline louhazosc

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Isolation of Platinum from compounds
« on: February 01, 2009, 07:02:25 PM »
Any help would be appreciated...
Is it at all possible to isolate / extract platinum from compounds such as cisplatin or Oxaliplatin?
Here is the structure:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxaliplatin

Once extracted would this result in Platinum or platinum black?
Would this catalyst be able to be utilized in further organic synthesis?

I have found several hints point to how to carry out this isolation but it always seems more geared towards refining metals for geological purposes.

So what I am hoping to find is a very detailed protocol involving the isolation or extraction of platinum and all that I can figure so far is that I will need aqua regia and heat!

Again, any help or advice on this will be greatly appreciated. I did find this previous posting and was wondering if this would be what I am looking for. It sounds a bit scary though as I will be working with well above a 1g scale.

..Take your used Pt catalyst, and dissolve it up by heating it in aqua regia (it takes a while to dissolve). Evaporate the solution, and convert the resulting chloroplatic acid H2PtCl6 to ammonium chloroplatinate, (NH4)2PtCl6.
This next bit is in the Org. Synth. prep for the Adams catalyst. Mix 1 part ammonium chloroplatinate with 10 parts AR sodium nitrate by weight in a porcelain crucible, and heat slowly in a full bunsen flame (fumehood), the sodium nitrate will fuse (~350 deg C), and release copious NOx fumes. Once the fusion has occurred, heat the mass at full flame for 20 minutes - ideally reaching 500-550 deg C (i have no idea how you would measure this kind of temperature, i just heated as hot as it will go). Cool to room temperature, smash the mass up, and add to water, stirring well. Filter off the fine brown solid (PtO2.xH2O), wash well with water, dry in a dessicator and then its ready to go..

Offline Fleaker

• Mole Snacks: +11/-0
  • Synthetic Chemist
Re: Isolation of Platinum from compounds
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 10:21:18 PM »
I can help you with this.
Here's some general (albeit interesting) stuff I did with a small bit of Pt and Pd. It is photo intensive, so be warned.
I never got around to posting some of my work with Rh, Ir, Os, Ru, Re and other expensive elements. I should probably do so sometime :P

http://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=9721&page=1#pid113781

I have made and used Adam's catalyst (and many other catalysts) on numerous occasions.The procedure you have quoted is a good one, and it gives a good product (having confirmed on pXRD myself).

As for measuring that type of temperature, I'd just use a type S thermocouple, but type K works fine. Also, think, would a quartz or porcelain crucible be better for doing this reaction?

My question to you is: where in God's name are you getting all of these extremely toxic, and extremely expensive chemotherapeutics? Not to be mean or anything, but really, anyone who has access to such things should surely know their properties quite well. I can only assume you are a proper chemist if you come across such materials.

As a hint, those compounds are thermally unstable.

And as a parting shot, if you don't want to go through all the trouble, I'd be happy to buy your platinum containing material off of you, and return it in whatever form you like... you can contact me privately about that.

Best luck to you!
Neither flask nor beaker.

Offline louhazosc

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 11:10:08 PM »
ummm...thanks. Kind of amazed by that for a response actually. Was looking for a rough protocol and got a photo journal.
I think the only thing better would be if you did it for me!
Anyway, thanks
Am I actually going to do this? Probably not because of how dangerous you made it sound. That's kinda what I needed to know.
How do I get my hands on these things? I must be an experienced chemist right?
You ever hear of someone being utilized to do one job even though they are trained in another, but its close enough cause you took a lot of chemistry before,  so the company can save a few bucks and fire the guy who is really experienced? Nuff said.
You pretty much gave me the ammo to say "Yeah, I ain't doin this...I could blow up"

OK, maybe a gram.

Offline louhazosc

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 11:21:38 PM »
Also, shoot me an email. Have another question in response to your reply

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 12:15:02 AM »
Very cool, Fleaker.

Offline Fleaker

• Mole Snacks: +11/-0
  • Synthetic Chemist
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 06:16:48 PM »
Thank you gentlemen.

I have responded to your private messages.
Neither flask nor beaker.

Offline kazimodo2010

• Very New Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 06:32:02 PM »
hi
i'm new in the forum, i've about 5 Kg of a strange powder (granular) suspected to be a platium @ 70 % pure but a don't know how can i test this to quantify the percentage of its purity!! can anybody help me here. how can i test this i heared about acid, spectro...
please help me
thank you

Sponsored Links