April 26, 2024, 08:19:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Metric System  (Read 16790 times)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Metric System
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 08:36:41 PM »
Light years is an other example. Way more convenient for astronomers to talk in light years than 10^17meters

don't astronomers use parasec to measure inter-stellar distances? instead of using kg, it's more practical to express the mass of stars and planets in term of solar mass. even chemist/physicist use a.m.u to measure the mass of nuclei?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2005, 08:45:27 PM »
Ease of use, complete range coverage, universality (additional units based on existing ones, like volume measured in units based on meter).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2005, 08:54:03 PM »
don't astronomers use parasec to measure inter-stellar distances?

AFAIK both ly and pc are used.

instead of using kg, it's more practical to express the mass of stars and planets in term of solar mass. even chemist/physicist use a.m.u to measure the mass of nuclei?

In many situations it is much more convenient to use some specific scale, like mole. However, metric system is a common denominator that makes any conversion easier, faster, and less prone to errors. It doesn't make sense to measure anything in different units, it doesn't make sense to measure everything using the same units. Some balance is needed.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2005, 10:45:30 PM »
Its also easier to measure pressure at sea level as 1 atmosphere rather than the "proper" SI equivalent of 1013250dynes/cm2.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2005, 11:16:24 PM »
Is the dyne a metric unit?  I thought is was Pascals...but maybe I'm cofusing SI with metric...?

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2005, 02:09:09 AM »
for your qn no.3 ... list all the examples in real life which show the efficiency of the metric system, easiest way to fill up an essay with pointless information  :P

as for dynes... i though pressure was measured in pascals/newton squared metres?

dyne seems to me like the centimeter version of newtons.
one learns best by teaching

Offline AngelShare

• Mole Snacks: +9/-8
  • The Eternal Flame
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2005, 12:19:24 PM »
for your qn no.3 ... list all the examples in real life which show the efficiency of the metric system, easiest way to fill up an essay with pointless information  :P

as for dynes... i though pressure was measured in pascals/newton squared metres?

dyne seems to me like the centimeter version of newtons.

That's what I was going to do but my mind is blank...what could a scientist be doing? How on Earth am I to guess what a scientist may be doing with the metric system? :D

Stupid question... :P
Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.[/size] ~Alan Watts

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2005, 12:45:38 PM »
everyday applications like figuring out much is needed for a cooking recipe, calculating your daily calorie intake, etc.

it doesnt have to be lab-based; heck, most people visualise scientists in white coats working with test-tubes in a lab. check out our member gallery photos and u'll know there's more to meets the eye than it is.  ;D

if u really want to be specific, u can try what Borek said
Ease of use, complete range coverage, universality (additional units based on existing ones, like volume measured in units based on meter).
one learns best by teaching

Sponsored Links