April 29, 2024, 11:54:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NO IDEA ON THESE RXN MECHANISMS?!  (Read 4831 times)

Offline phil14:3

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
NO IDEA ON THESE RXN MECHANISMS?!
« on: June 12, 2010, 11:57:46 PM »
Probably somone here can help me out.. This is not my hw lol. its actually part of my finals which I never got to answer.. ugh it got me frustrated.

1. starting with 1-chloropropane formaldehyde and butanone, synthesize 2-methyl-2-ethylpropanal

2. starting with ethyne, synthesize (2S,2R) 3,4-hexanediol

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
Re: NO IDEA ON THESE RXN MECHANISMS?!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 12:02:27 AM »
For the first, I'd probably use 2-chloropropane and make a grignard then attack formaldehyde and then oxidize it with pcc.

For the second, is your issue the whole process or just the stereochemical issues?

Btw, generally on forums you want to avoid caps lock :)

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 12:11:09 AM »
1. starting with 1-chloropropane formaldehyde and butanone, synthesize 2-methyl-2-ethylpropanal
Are you sure that's the product? 2-methyl-2-ethyl propanal is actually 2,2-dimethylbutanal. givent

@ Joriss : What would your final product be? Moreover, you are not allowed to use 2-chloropropane, you've got to start from the 3 given compounds
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 12:29:45 AM »
Are you sure that's the product? 2-methyl-2-ethyl propanal is actually 2,2-dimethylbutanal. givent

@ Joriss : What would your final product be? Moreover, you are not allowed to use 2-chloropropane, you've got to start from the 3 given compounds
Woops, I read 2-chloro instead of 1-chloro.

Ok, Step 1: Change 1-chloropropane to 2-chloropropane :P

And I'm pretty sure the major product of my sequnce is what was wanted.

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 12:37:39 AM »
For the first, I'd probably use 2-chloropropane and make a grignard then attack formaldehyde and then oxidize it with pcc.

For the second, is your issue the whole process or just the stereochemical issues?

Btw, generally on forums you want to avoid caps lock :)

For the second, I can't seem to figure outhow the whole process should work out..

I'm sorry for the caps lock. haha

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 12:38:11 AM »

I'm pretty sure that was the given product for the mechanism...

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 01:55:00 AM »
Ohhhh snap, I did some dumb stuff lol. I misread what type of propane we had AND miswrote the product. Scratch what I said before.

Man, I'm bustin' my head now, I don't see the first one. I'm going to keep thinking though...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 02:17:00 AM by Jorriss »

Offline democanarchis

• Mole Snacks: +9/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 08:02:52 AM »
For the second, its a similar thought process to the first, except it takes a bit longer. How would you make a digrignard from that starting material?

Sponsored Links