April 30, 2024, 10:06:57 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: In what order do you remove electrons from metals?  (Read 25695 times)

Offline Kalibasa

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
In what order do you remove electrons from metals?
« on: June 06, 2010, 12:16:07 AM »
I'm really confused, because in my book they said that in creating metal ions, electrons are subtracted from the p-orbitals, the s-orbitals and then if needed the d-orbitals from the preceding energy level. This would make sense in general, but I thought d-orbitals were usually higher-energy than the s orbital directly above them because of their configuration around the nucleus. For instance, I thought that you would go from 5s to 4d to 5p. Why, then, would the configuration of In 3+ be [Kr]4d10 instead of [Kr]5s24d8? Why wouldn't you subtract from the d-orbitals first?

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Re: In what order do you remove electrons from metals?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 02:18:45 AM »
You remove electrons from the outermost shells(valence shells), one by one, penetrating into the inner levels. 5p is outermost, then 5s, then 4d and so on.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 08:23:58 AM »
In general, remove electrons with the highest value of n first.  For electrons with the same n  (like your In example), remove electrons with the highest value of l first.  So for In ([Kr] 5s2 4d10 5p1), if you want In3+ remove the n=5 electrons first. 

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 02:37:19 AM »
@tamim83 : I think the following is the reason for removing electrons in that order...can you tell me if i'm right?

Orbitals with greater n+l have higher energy (Aufbau's rule). Those with higher energy are further away from the nucleus because the system is bound and hence potential and total energy are negative, and they become less negative as we move away from the nucleus.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline Abstractineum

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 09:17:29 AM »
The energy of the orbitals are as you wrote, 5s<4d<5p and you would theoretically detract electrons from the orbitals in the listed order (starting from the left). However, there are exceptions. In the periodic system, the two first are the Cr and Cu, where lower energy 4s-orbital electrons are promoted to a 3d-orbital. In these cases the resulting electronic configurations are (instead of [Ar] 4s23d4 and [Ar] 4s23d9) [Ar] 4s13d5 and [Ar] 4s13d10 respectively. Both these generate half/-filled d-orbitals.
  In your case it seems to be the same; the s-electrons are promoted to the higher-energy d orbital which in some way must stabilize the molecule.

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 12:08:22 PM »
@tamim83 : I think the following is the reason for removing electrons in that order...can you tell me if i'm right?

Orbitals with greater n+l have higher energy (Aufbau's rule). Those with higher energy are further away from the nucleus because the system is bound and hence potential and total energy are negative, and they become less negative as we move away from the nucleus.

That is mostly correct.  However, it really doesn't explain why the 4s electrons are ionized before the 3d electrons.  It would make more sense for the electrons that are not as "tightly bound" to the system to get ionized first.  But, that doesn't happen.  I think it may be due to the fact that, on average, 4s electrons are found further away from the nucleus than 3d electrons (look at the radial distribution functions).  However this sort of contradicts the reason why the 4s orbital is lower in energy (it can penetrate closer to the nucleus- again see the radial distribution functions).  This is one of those things where there is a rule but no easy answer as to why the rule works.  

Offline Kalibasa

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 12:30:04 AM »
I actually stumbled on the "answer" in my book about two hours after I asked this, but it isn't really a true explanation, more of a statement of fact. Apparently when you build up, you add electrons in the order I listed: 4s to 3d to 4p. But "once they contain electrons, the 3d orbitals lie lower in energy than the 4s-orbital," so you remove electrons from 4p then 4s then 3d. Basically you add electrons in one order but remove them in another, which is very strange but that's how it is... It's like the last post said, there's a rule that we use but we don't really understand it  ???

The book is Chemical Principles by Atkins, by the way, which I trust

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 04:41:12 PM »
Hmm, sounds plausible.  The only problem I have is that, well, orbitals don't really exist until electrons occupy them (the orbitals are the electrons). 

Sponsored Links